Best thing to box in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I hope you can help....
What is the best thing to box in central heating pipes?
I want it to look really tidy and be able to paint over it well.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I suppose the obvious neat quick-fix for pipework has to be Pendock (sold on-line by UK Boxings, etc)which is made from pre-formed plywood with a pre-painted white surface. There are other products on the market like Talon (plastic) and Zylo (similar materials to Pendoc, tighter radii). They all have the advantage of being quick to install, and if well fitted, looking reasonably good. They don't work well on really wonky wal;ls, though, for which the more traditional approach of 2 x 1in softwood framing with 12mm MDF coverinsg is probably the neatest way to go

Thank you for your reply.
A joiner is coming in to do it for us. He suggested ply wood as he already has some off cuts. But I found that a pain to paint last time we had that (took loads of coats and looked quite cheap)

wasn't sure if mdf or ply wood was good with poss condensation from hot pipes?

Personally I'd go for solid timber....a bit more forgiving than MDF fixing wise, and no raw edge that you get with ply. MDF does paint well though.
However, pre finished stuff that JobandKnock suggests is easier but usually more expensive.
Either way, are you happy fixing the boxing to the walls?
Condensation wont be an issue here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Use a pilot drill if you intend to use screws, Leanne - prevents splitting of the material.
Good luck with your project!
John :)

wasn't sure if mdf or ply wood was good with poss condensation from hot pipes?
If you are that concerned use the green, moisture resistant MDF (MR-MDF) and pre-seal with oil-based primer, but TBH that's probably overkill. There shouldn't be any condensation on the pipes within the boxing because done properly (i.e. with all the entry and exit cut-outs within 1 to 2mm of the pipes) you are creating a closed environment around the pipe where no condensation can possibly form. Main thing about MDF is to make sure that the edges are thouroughly sanded before priming and to use a thinned-down oil-based primer as your first coat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back