Best thing to clean porcelain tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all. Hope you can help.
After mopping my porcelain floor tiles in my kitchen they go all muggy and dull. So far I have used, floor cleaning from the supermarkets, little amount of soapy water and also tried just hot water.
I want them to come up clean and shiney.
And suggestions or recommendations on products that work.

Many thanks in advance [/code]

Sponsored Links
Have they just been fitted or have they been down a while?

if this isnt grout residue from a new fitting, what kind are they? (photo may help). A microfibre, hot water and a product called easy care by lithofin may be the answer, but need to check if this is a sealing\new fitting issue first.

I have porcelain tile in my bathroom. I don't know a huge amount about tiles, but I think mine were unsealed. What this meant was the tiles looked great going up, but after grouting it was nearly a disaster - in that I had 20m2 of expensive mirror fleck tiles with a grey whitish tinge to them which no amount of scrubbing would remove (looked great wet but drying looked awful).

Anyway eventually someone told me about using (Acid based) grout cleaner which I picked up from tops tiles. used it neat - diluting didn't help, and many hours of scrubbing later they look great. Also used some sealant after cleaning.

Now this was my 1st ever tiling DIY job using tile which were not ceramic, not something I'm planning on trying again (non ceramic) without proper research / reading instructions.

I guess you need to contact the person who laid them to ask there advice? or where they were bought from?

nb I'm not suggesting you need to do the same as me, just reading your post bought back memories!

thats sort of where i'm heading. a common thing with porcelain or ceramic tiles that have just been fitted is that the tiler doesnt buff the grout residue off, no amount of mopping gets this off, you need to use a dry cloth, or if its been on too long or with certain tiles you use a MILD acid based product such as cement away or cement residue remover.

Note that not all porcelain needs sealing, so dont panic!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your responses.
They have been laid a few years. We only bought the house 4 months ago. We've never had porcelain tiles before, so it was just to see what's best to use on them for general day to day cleaning. I'm guessing not bleach?
Any good products anyone can suggest.

All the times I have cleaned them they look almost greasy, with a foggy muggy look.

I want a clean shine to them.

Thanks x

Pop a photo on.

Definitely not bleach. depending on the type, some household cleaners can strip the sealer, or cause a build up on the tiles. Sure we can help you if we know the exact kind of material we are dealing with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back