Best time to buy from dealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Soon I want to buy a used car from a dealer. Will the price drop much as soon as we get into the new year ? I am trying to decide if I should buy this month or should I wait until January?

Sponsored Links
Now - they have xmas presents to buy and all their customers are focused on buying presents not cars

Don't panic though . You'll still get a good deal in Jan or Feb esp if the weather is awful . July seems to see the prices drop as well

I would say the prices will be the same. A dealer tries to make a set amount, or percentage on each car.

Go find a few cars you like and offer low amounts, say 7% off the asking prices. If one bites then cool. If not, just keep trying, or accept the prices don't really change and you didn't gain or lose out when you did buy eventually.

Sponsored Links
A couple of times when I was buying new, I'd just email them a spec and best price and see who would beat it. I'd make it obvious I was emailing all the dealers in the area. Would normally get someone willing to go low for an easy sale even if I'd made up my best price to start with.

The best time is always the end of the month, as they've got targets to meet. But December is always a difficult months for salesmen, as people concentrate on presents etc. I managed to knock a double glazing salesman down to just wages one year, and he physically blanched at the figure I wasn't going to budge from.

Back