Best tools for the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im going to be painting a 7x3.5m room including ceiling. The room is a mix of new plaster, old painted plaster and some backing paper. My question is what are the best rollers for the job? Also would I be best covering the whole room in backing paper to get a consistent finish or will I get away with only covering the parts with cracked plaster?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A surface consisting of various materials will never get an even look so use lining paper (1200 grade or thicker if necessary) to give a more even surface - it's cheap and worth it. However, if the walls are excessively bumpy/uneven, you will still get blemishes appearing through it so take time to get the surface as good as possible before lining it.

A matt emulsion will further help disguise a poor surface by stopping light reflecting off any high and low spots.

My personal preference for roller sleeves would be Purdy - their White Dove is my favourite followed by their Colossus. They are not always readily available at DIY stores (at least not when I last lived in the UK) but can be found at many decorator's merchants or online.
That said, any good quality roller sleeve will do a decent job if you apply the paint evenly.

The Crown decorating stores stock the white doves and colossus, screwfix sell the colossus too. Personal favourite is the Hamilton perfection medium pile sleeves for walls, gives a lovely flat finish.

Sponsored Links
Nice one

To be fair the walls are not so bad as they are mostly painted or new plaster its just either side of the chimney breast top half has backing paper with cracked plaster underneath.
20171103_161759_001.jpg

20171103_161825.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back