Best type of filler for a big hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a tall deep hole between 2 pattresses and my experience with polyfiller is that I can only get it to work for small dents or screw holes.

Not only is the hole quite deep there are many bits of loose masonry going back along the path of an old gas pipe that used to run through the wall, which now contains an electric cable inside a conduit which I installed.

Here is a picture so you can see what I mean.
2s1ua7r.jpg

I'm not going to fill the entire length of the hole where the gas pipe was, as that goes back 2ft through the wall of the chimney. So do I need to block the hole with something like plasterboard or wire mesh first?

Can I use this mesh with polyfiller?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/patch+repair-mesh/invt/221808/

Sponsored Links
I think you need to remove the socket covers first, fill the gap then replace.

It's hardly a thing of beauty, is it?

Sponsored Links
As said, a bonding plaster coat is best, then a final skim - ordinary filler will do for this.

Don't bother with the ready mixed one coat tubs of plaster - in my experience it doesn't set hard enough, quick enough - if you see what I mean.

Before you start filling, can you move the righthand box up a bit? Not quite in line, and enough to drive some people up the wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back