Repairing a Hole in a PB Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to cut a number of access holes in my kitchen ceiling to sort out issues with the plumbing and the like which now need filling.

The smaller holes 1-2inch, that ive used to locate pipes I am happy enough to just wedge a bit of PB into and fill over with a softfiller (polyfiller proberbly) but the large holes that ive had to get my hands through (6inch square, upto about a foot square) however need something a little more i suppose.

The ceiling is a form of false ceiling lashed up under the origanal, presumably to cover this mess of plumbing and give somewhere simple to install the downlighters, and is hence supporing members are fairly scarce.

What are peoples thoughts on the best way to fill it. One day i might take the load down and reboard and skim at the orignal leval, but at the moment its the least of my worries and it just needs filling. BY best thought so far was to dry-wall adheasive in some PB patches sitting on the orignal PB, and then when thats set, drywall in a piece of PB to make up the thickness, and then skim with soft filler and be done.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I'm presuming you cant access the ceiling through lifting floorboards in the room above as you've said there's an existing ceiling.

If there isn't a big void above the holes you could squirt in some expanding foam and then fill just over flush. If your going to be squirting into a large void you could place a piece of plasterboard in the hole first so you've got something to squirt against. I expect there is several ways of doing it but thats my immediate thoughts anyway.

I'm presuming you cant access the ceiling through lifting floorboards in the room above as you've said there's an existing ceiling.
Yes indeed. The bathroom is actually doubleboarded (two sets of floorboards perpeniducalar to each other) and then has lamiate flooring over that which is why i went frun underneith in the first place. Plus the other ceiling, which i found!

Distance beween the two ceilings is around 6inchs.

Daniel

An option would be to cut a piece or pieces of wood longer than the length of the hole but thinner that the width of the hole.

Slide it through the hole above the ceiling and then insert a screw either side of the hole through the ceiling and into the wood. Then you can cut a piece of plaster board as close as you can to the size of the hole and screw that to the wood.

Then apply a base coat. Let that set and then apply a finish coat. Also covering the screw holes.

Sponsored Links
quickest way: cut bigger piece PB than the hole, on the middle of it places long screw (just for holding your piece) insert patch above the hole, mix bonding plaster (don't make it to wet) and prepare trowel, while holding screw with one hand- apply bonding plaster with another- it have to almost flush (need some space for filler), if hole is big for one foot- it might require applying plaster in 2 goes, when ready leave to cure. When plaster hard gently remove the screw and skim over with polyfilla
good luck
MINDEX

easi fill is my weapon of choice....
Yeah, might have to get some of that. How much is a bag (appears to only come in 10kg sacks), presumably much less per-weight than a propriotory filler such as polyfiller.

Daniel

Daniel. You have already come up with the best solution so ignore all the other comments.

If you read the back of the bag re drywall adhesive you will see that it is suitable for general filling (I use it all the time) - so no need to buy anything else. Just do exactly what you propose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back