Patching holes in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've cut out some square holes into the ceiling while chasing cables for new downlights. Besides the screw holes there is obviously the perimeter of the cut out to fill.

Done some research online and it looks like gyproc easyfill 5 x1 is the best option (there are about 10 squares to rectify) - the question is should I tape the holes as part of this process (fibreglass mesh tape), or will the easyfill do a good enough job on its own without risk of shrinkage ?

Ive also look at lightweight filler but I've never used it before, although reviews on it are good.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have filled in the holes already by screwing in some plasterboard squares which is spot on.

Nah you don’t need to use tape paper or scrim - it will just make it that little bit harder to smooth out afterwards. just skim over using gyproc ready mix joint cement or a similar easy to sand product. Apply a smooth plastering style pass over whole patch and around it 1-2 inches not just the perimeter gaps.

you will get shrinkage but that’s ok. Let it dry for a few hours then do a second pass then even a third pass if req. You only need to lightly sand after the last pass. Once she is painted up even you won’t be able to find where your old holes were.

The light weight filler will not be as good for this application as it won’t spread over the whole section as smoothly.

I use ready made filler for these kinda holes as i got fed up with the plaster of paris ****e (polyfilla basic, etc) cracking or surrendering to the first lick of paint it sees.
Ronseal multi-purpose is great stuff. Dries hard so you need a decent abrasive paper for smoothing but once in and dry, i no longer have shrinkage ir cracking ir lifting.

A tip for painting is to paint them as soon as you have them sanded. That way they won't lift the paint when doing full coats (which is a real ****er if using a roller)

Sponsored Links
Toupret powder is best and seal the plasterboard edges, that's the existing ceiling holes and cut bits edges. Will stick so well it's will become one again and don't bother with tape

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back