Repairing Small Holes in Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls in our house are what I believe is called dot and dab. I'm pretty sure the plasterboard has been lined with lining paper and then painted. I'm not sure if this is normal, or whether plasterboard is normally skimmed first. Either way, I have some holes that I need to make good. They are where things have been hung on the walls and some have plastic wall plugs still in them. If they were old style walls I would just polyfill, rub down and repaint but I'm not sure how the lining paper will survive if I try it on these walls. Someone has already done it with old holes and not made a very good job of it - in the sense that the holes have been filled and just painted (I think) which means it's very obvious that there were holes there previously. Any tips on how best to do this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will never totally effect an invisible repair on paper but you can get pretty good.
Those holes that have plugs in them find something about the same size as the plug (I keep an old drill screwdriver bit holder in the box for this) and punch the plug just under flush, then fill with fine surface filler.
Let it dry, do not leave overnight, some fine surface fillers seem to go like concrete if left too long! Sand down with a fine block these are ideal most DIY stores sell them.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/hermes-four-sided-sanding-block

Prime with a little diluted paint then paint over with the same type of tool (fine / fluffy roller or brush) as the wall was done with to get the same texture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back