lining paper or filler and paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Having just stripped aload of old wall paper of the walls i am down to pink stuff which i take is old plaster , its quite patchy in places , flaky , holes etc. My hope was to fill , sand , undercoat and paint .......though im not to sure now would it be better to line the walls instead , i know the easiest would be to skim walls but dont think we can afford this (all tips gratefully recieved). I have also noted holes between the bottom of wall and skirting board can these be polyfilled?

What are the best products for best finish

Thankyou all

Casey

Also im noting there are diff ways to hang lining paper , whats best horizontal or vertical in a 10 x 12 nearly normal sqare room lol....and is there any way to get rid of the lines so you cant see them after painting

Sponsored Links
fill the holes in the walls and between the skirting and walls then sand all the walls and skirting smooth then line it then paint it.

i decorate rooms this way and get a nice finish.

The lining paper is used because this gives one even absorbancy rate over the whole wall. Best to fill and sand as much as you can prior to lining. Generally the lining paper is put on sideways this will help to lose you eye from vertical seams and if butt jointed quite tight with no overlaps then when painted should not be seen. Gaps around skirtings and architraves are best filled with caulk as it is more flexible than a hard filler like polyfilla. Good thing with lining paper is that you can still fill over it in places if ..when dry you see any other dents in the wall. :D

if youy can get the wall to a nice flat, even, smooth surface, you won't need lining paper.

that' what I do

If the wall in a por state it might be a lot of work

I use finish plaster, not filler. I scrape it smooth before it is fully set (this is cheaper, easier and cleaner than sanding)

remeber that if you have to scrape or sand it, you put too much on so you have wasted your own time and materials.

I find it is easier to smooth and polish finish plaster than fillers or patching plaster or one-coat plaster. It is intended to be applied thinly (or it will crack) so you can use bonding in big holes, slightly below the finished level.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd fill/sand as required then put a mist coat on (40% water/non-vinyl emulsion). If it looks OK carry on with 2 coats emulsion otherwise lining paper. You've not wasted the mist coat as this will seal the bare plaster and new filler.

One of the main reason for hanging lining paper horizontally is that you have fewer joins/cuts. Most rooms you'd only need four and a half runs per wall as opposed to eight plus hanging vertically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back