Best type of hardcore for driveway sub base

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
The derelict house I am working on will, in a few days/weeks be impossible to drive onto thanks to the increase of the rain and lack of warm weather!

I am taking up the topsoil and will put a layer of woven weed membrane down.
But what would be the best type of hardcore to put down on top of that? I have read about type 1 but would this be relevant in my situation.

I wont be putting in any proper driveway until possibly Q2/Q3 next year, this is purely so that I and the services can drive on to the site.
I also have not decided if it will be gravelled or tarmac.
Would type 1 still be right or should I just get 2-4 inch stone for the time being.
Also, is there a better type of stone to use?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The membrane i don't think you'll need, but type 1 will work well as a base if you whack it down properly. You would need to put something on top in the long run though, as it will come up again from being trafficked.

The membrane i don't think you'll need, but type 1 will work well as a base if you whack it down properly. You would need to put something on top in the long run though, as it will come up again from being trafficked.
Thanks, I'm putting the weed membrane down to avoid any issue of weeds coming through, especially if I choose tarmac. My in laws have laid stones driveway and they have a massive issue with it

With that logic on your 2nd point, would it be better to just have the larger 2-4inch stones for the time being and then put a layer of type 1 closer to the time when I will do something with it?
The digger and my car going over the hardcore will be compressing it to save me having to get a whacker.

I think 2-4 inch would be too big unless you're putting down a really deep layer and roller it.

How about road planings?

Sponsored Links
If you have 6" or whatever of stone, the membrane won't do anything extra to stop weeds, but might add some strength to the driveway.
Defiantly worth hiring a big vibrating roller, it will compact it harder than any whacker plate or vehicle will

The weeds will come from above rather than below, especially as you should really be stripping back the top layer of organic matter and any roots etc from larger plants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back