Best type of Hose /Hose Reel for compressor in wood workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

After two previous failed attempts, with suppliers providing me with a damaged unit and a leaking unit, I've finally got delivery of a compressor which I hope to use for pinning , nailing and possibly some other applications. Here's the model I settled on:

http://www.compressedaircentre.ie/product/fini-2hp-24l-air-compressor/

Now when it came to hosing I bought this unit on impulse, convincing myself it would save space in my very small workshop:

http://www.compressedaircentre.ie/product/auto-retract-hose-reel/

What I didn't realise was that the inlet hose on the unit is only about 45cm long. I'll have to extend this with some more hosing to reach the compressor on the floor.

Also, I'll have to double check the gauge but I think the hose seems quite thick on this unit, which may not be ideal for pinning in tight corners . Anyway I'm considering returning it and replacing it with this:

http://www.compressedaircentre.ie/product/10-mt-flexible-coil-air-hose-coil8x6x10/

Am I making the right decision? Is there anything I should take into consideration here ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Now when it came to hosing I bought this unit on impulse, convincing myself it would save space in my very small workshop

What I didn't realise was that the inlet hose on the unit is only about 45cm long. I'll have to extend this with some more hosing to reach the compressor on the floor.
Maybe it wasn't obvious, but that sort of unit is designed for use in conjunction with a fixed air pipe system, the sort of thing you'll routinely find in tyre places, garages, etc. That's why it won't reach your compressor. The hose is specifically made to be abrasion resistant (sucjh hoses are routinely dragged over concrete floors) and is therefore both thick and relatively inflexible. If you want to pipe out your shop why not look at something m,ade for the job, such as JG Speedfit which will be much more durable than flexible hose, not to mention safer. For the same reason your second choice is hardly the best option in the long run, either, because "curly whirly" hoses like that tend to kink (and crack at the kinks) as well as to get caught-up in everything under the sun - personally I hate them. Unless they are run in from an overhead position and tools suspended on tool balancers they are just ruddy nuisances.

The problem with using flexible hose where pipework shuld be used is that it just isn't designed to be held by clips - that and the fact that it won't be possible to plumb-in drain legs (assuming that you know what they are and why they are needed)

Cheers Job and Knock,

I should have made it clear in my post but I'll mainly be using the compressor for nailing and pinning in a wood workshop - bought the hose reel on impulse as I'd thought it'd save space.

But as you point out it's a fairly thick hose and more suited to perhaps automotive purposes or spraying.

Cheers for all of the tips about the curly hose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back