Best type of lining paper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boyfriend has just bought his first house and upon stripping the wallpaper we have found the walls are in pretty bad shape. What lining paper would you recommend using, we are wanting to paint on top of it. Or would it work out cheaper getting them skimmed. The room size is 4.65m x2.9m.

Sponsored Links
Buy it from a trade store, B&Q/Homebase etc is a tad thin IMO.
The grade youll need (from 800 up to 1700 )will depend on how rough the walls are,personally I wouldnt bother with anything under 1200.
Shouldnt cost more than around £3 per roll
Remember you can lightly skim the surface of the lining paper (once dry!)with easyfill or Tetrion all purpose filler remaining blemishes/joints etc.

I can line a 12' x 12' in a morning so it can/should workout much cheaper than skimming - a well lined wall can look as good as new plaster !

We want a good finish and to be able to paint over it, what make of lining paper would you suggest also are the paste wall linings easier, how can you stop lining paper bubbling when painting, we are first timers at this.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt worry too much about brand names for lining paper, trade stores tend stock whatever they get the best deal on , the brand Ive been using a lot lately is ERFURT MAV PROFESSIONAL - good stuff!
1200/1400 is easy too handle & will smooth over most imperfections(or 1700 for really rough walls) & wont tear too easily..I always use SOLVITE myself.
You shouldnt really get many bubbles if youve mixed & applied the paste correctly (use a roller to apply paste & dont use as much water as the pack states theyre way to optomistic as far as coverage goes!) let the paper soak for 10-15 mins til supple and smooth out onto the wall using a caulking board rather than a brush to eradicate bubbles.
If some bubbles do appear when you paint dont panic, they invariably flatten down when the paint dries. :)
PM me if you have any probs[/i]
PS I wouldnt reccomend the 'paste-the-wall-linings' at all! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back