Lining Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This is my first post so I hope I have put this in the correct area.

I have a quick question regarding lining paper. We have recently bought a house and are redecorating. We have stripped the wallpaper and have decided to use 800 grade lining paper as the walls were not in too bad of a condition.

However, my mother in law has done some of the lining for us last week (horizontally with slight gaps between each run) and we can still see some of the channels were electrics were channelled out etc. so we were wondering can we also line vertically over the top of our walls to hide these channels?

We are wallpapering not painting so I know we would need to make sure the seams would not line up with our wallpaper. I am just worried that if we lined vertically also would you see the small gaps between the horizontal runs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can cross line, it might have been better to use a heavier lining paper.

Lining paper can take filler and a gentle rub down with 120 grade. Fill the gaps between the paper it ha water base filler. Once dry feather off gently and you seem should totally disappear.

If you can see shadowing where there were chases or filled holes, again you can fill over the top of the paper in these areas and with a sanding block rub back to smooth. If they are proud rather than indents you should have take these back prior to lining.

They are slight indents mainly. So would we be ok to line both horizontally and vertically? Would this hide the indents? And would you be able to see the slight gaps between the horizontal lining paper through the vertical lining paper?

Many thanks

People expect too much from lining paper....you can try to fill over the top of it but you'd be better off, in my opinion, filling the walls properly first. There is no need to line horizontally if you (or your MIL) finds it easier to line vertically.

Sponsored Links
There is no real issue with lining vertically on top of the horizontal lining paper, other than the fact you have finish paper to still go on top of that second layer which should, in theory, run the opposite way to the finish paper. As for whether you will encounter problems, I think you should get away with any cross tension issues between lining paper and finish paper, due to the fact you will have two base layers. Also, the small gaps in the first layer should be hidden by the second, providing they are no wider than 1mm, or so - if they are, then it may be necessary to fill them.

Your main problem is the task of ensuring the finish paper doesn't have any joins that correspond with that second layer (as you already knew). Whilst this seems easy, it can become tricky on longer walls because of the differing widths of most lining papers and wallpapers, which means you can start with a join in the centre of a piece of lining paper but, after 5-6 drops, you will have joins that are very close to each other. You will need to spend some time working out the best place to start and finish so that all joins are as far apart as possible - this may mean working out where to start with the lining paper, rather than the finish paper, if you have a patterned paper that needs to be centralised.

I agree with the previous posts that too much can be expected of lining paper and a heavier grade, at least 1200, should be used if the walls have any blemishes at all. I'm also not keen on the idea of decorating from scratch and having to use three layers of paper, but that shouldn't be a major problem, other than the extra work involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back