Lining paper - horizontal or vertical?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does it matter whether lining paper is hung horizontally or vertically? For my money, as long as the seams do not line up with the seams of the top paper I would have thought it would be ok.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest horizontal if you're going to paper over it (so that the joints are definately staggered), vertical or horizontal if your going to paint.

Does it matter whether lining paper is hung horizontally or vertically? For my money, as long as the seams do not line up with the seams of the top paper I would have thought it would be ok.

Your right..the main issue it the seems, as long as they dont overlap then your ok...one way of doing it is to start in one corner of a room and work to the left (or right) the start in the same place with the finish paper and go the opposite way..

But its always worth gauging it out first to be double sure.

If a wall is say 5 metres long and say 2.7 metres high then 5 horizontal strips will fit nicely...resulting in only having to do 5 cuts at each end (plus top and bottom)...thats got to be easier than having to hang 9 drops and do 18 cuts top and bottom...(plus sides)

However I cant see the point in crosslining a wall for the sake of it...as in if the wall is higher than it is long...a section that runs from floor to ceiling in between two doors and narrower than a width of paper for instance...I cant see the paint in puttng 5 bits in and doing ten cuts..(plus top and bottom) when you could just put one full sheet in

I would go for the most practically conveinient way..just make sure first.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back