Best type of lock for use on internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know some people think it best not to lock internal doors because an intruder will simply do more costly damage, but that said and with an alarmed property giving some protection, what is the best type of lock to put on an internal door - 3 lever mortice dead lock? What makes, Union, Chubb (have they merged?), Yale?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Once a burglar is inside your house, he can work unseen and unheard by passers-by, so internal locks will only add a little delay. It may be useful if you hear the noise or an alarm goes off before he has time to rifle the house. This may give reassurance if you are alone in the house as you may wake up.

It's only worthwhile if you have a sturdy door. I used to have an Edwardian house with panelled internal doors 1 7/8" thick, where I relied on mortice rackbolts top and bottom (they still had the original horizontal sashlocks, which are not very strong and have only nominal keeps). Rackbolts are cheap to buy and easier to fit than mortice locks. Most modern doors, especially hollow ones, serve no purpose except to keep draughts out.

My current house has fire doors that are 44mm thick and very solid, I use a 5-lever mortice on the downstairs rooms which might inconvenience an intruder somewhat, while the alarm goes off or I hear the noise.

BS mortice locks are readily available and have a box keep or staple, which is sturdier than you will find on a cheap bathroom lock. The current BS has a long throw on the bolt. You can often get 5-lever locks which don't meet the BS but are of similar construction apart from the extended (E) bolt, cheaper. It is unlikely that a burglar in an ordinary house will bother trying to pick a 5-lever lock. Eurocylinders are not as good. and are easily defeated by low-skill burglars.

The red-cased Union BS mortice deadlock and sashlock came out very well in the Which tests, and are a very reasonable price.

Make sure that emergency exit is easy to use. You have probably heard of firemen coming across heaps of bodies on the wrong side of a locked door.

I have the back door, downstairs doors and garage door suited to the same key, so you only need to carry one, which is much more convenient that a jangling bunch. You must keep the key out of reach of an intruder.

Thanks, some good comments.

>>Make sure that emergency exit is easy to use. You have probably heard of firemen coming across heaps of bodies on the wrong side of a locked door.
I didn't understand this, pls clarify.

I would also prefer to use 5 lever on internals, most of our doors will be firedoors too. We have 29 internal doors to add to our build which includes 6 pairs of doubles. I am tempted to have quite a few of the doors also suited to the same key for convenience. In fact I am wondering if it is possible to use an existing Chubb 5 lever key from my parents house which I have used for more than 20 years, on my property too. Any downside of having suited keys on several of the doors, other than losing one key would obviously be an issue if the property is identified.

Any idea of cost to get a key suited?

Can you be sure which route you or other occupants would take, to leave the house in case of fire? I wouldn't lock interior doors.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
You can order suited locks from a real locksmith, including some online ones, but AFAIK not from discount sheds. Because of the way they are assembled, only the first lock comes with keys, others cost extra.

It is possible to get locks with a master key, but that uses a different mechanism and the locks cost considerably more (e.g. the Chubb/Union 3G110 "detainer" lock)

You can get mortice rackbolts with a fixed knob on the "inside" face of the door, rather than a removable key, which makes emergency exit easier, but they are less secure.

My reference to heaps of bodies is where, for example in a nightclub or hotel fire, people follow the signs to an emergency exit, but when they get there it has been locked shut, so they can't get out and are killed by smoke, unable to escape. Sadly this still happens. The same thing could happen to your family if the door is locked, especially to children who think they are "not allowed" to throw the TV through the window to smash the glass.

or

41dj0yTW5kL.jpg

It's no good fitting any metal lock to a cardboard door and expecting it to be secure

Can you be sure which route you or other occupants would take, to leave the house in case of fire? I wouldn't lock interior doors.

We only lock internal doors when we leave the property or at night might want to lock the main living room areas. In an emergency get out of the front door and if that is not accessible then there wouldn't be an exit other than first floor or loft floor level anyway.

Who said anything about a flimsy door?

I did.

A lock is no good unless it's on a thick solid external grade door, which itself is in a thick frame (not a thin lining), which is in a solid masonry wall and not plaster stud partition.

So it's no use asking about what BS or how many levers, or what make, as none of them will matter in the slightest.

So what's your suggested solution? No lock at all? Not the answer I'm looking for.

It might not be the answer you are looking for, but the fact is, a lock on an internal door in an internal lining in an internal partition is a complete waste of time.

We only lock internal doors when we leave the property or at night might want to lock the main living room areas. In an emergency get out of the front door and if that is not accessible then there wouldn't be an exit other than first floor or loft floor level anyway.
You have no way to know where a fire might start, or how it would spread. I wouldn't do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back