Recommend locks for internal doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone will be able to help.

I have 2 internal doors in my property (1 between the porch and the living room, and another between the kitchen and living room) that we want to fit some locks to.

Having locks on these internal doors is an increased security precaution (and also to help the missus sleep easier at night). I want to fit locks that can be opened from both sides so we can lock them on the way out of the house, and at night also as an extra obstacle for anyone who got through the front door or into the kitchen.

The doors are just average internal doors, reasonably solid (not the 'balsa' wood type).

I have a few questions

1, whats the best type to fit? mortice deadlocks seem the way to go from the little research ive done.

2, is it a reasonably do-able diy job to fit them? Im a sparky by trade so like to think im reasonably practicable :LOL:

3, Roughly how much am i looking at for these locks?

4, Any other tips or comments are appreciatted.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
you might find them useful if you want to prevent anyone poking into your rooms without having to break in (for example, lodgers)

but internal doors, their frames and their hinges, are relatively weak.

once a burglar has got into your house he can smash them down unobserved and fairly easily, so it is usually recommended that you do not lock them when the house is empty. It just leads to additional damage and expense :(
Spend your money on good window locks, and proper locks and bolts for the external doors.

however, at night it will enable you to hear if anyone is bashing the internal doors, so gives you additional warning.

I know people who use rack bolts (mortice bolts) top and bottom of downstairs internal doors as they can be locked from the hallway and are cheap and easy to fit.

You must not lock the doors that you depend on to escape in case of fire.

Your household insurer probably offers a free leaflet with recommendations that you may find useful. e.g. http://www.directlineinsurance.co.uk/home/Securing_your_home.pdf
or page 60/61 of
http://www.legalandgeneral.com/home-insurance/pdfs/HomePolicy.pdf

p.s. I have fire doors in my house, which feel heavy and solid, and are hung on three 100mm heavy hinges, but I am told they are not actually very strong :(

If the internal doors are decent solid doors not hollow then I would consider your best to lock them when you’re out. Who cares about the damage if it slows the burglar down or keeps him out the other rooms.

You could fit 3 Lever Sash Locks but they are not as easy to fit as rack bolts.

Thanks for the input JohnD and djrock, appreciatte it.

I had a better look at the doors today and have come to the conclusion that, whilst they arent the 'flimsy' type internals, they arent exactly 'solid' either.

Going to have both the doors replaced for something more sturdy and have locks fitted at the same time.

I can see the argument for not locking them as it may mean the intruder causes more damage, but id prefer to put more obstacles in the way.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
These two doors sound like they are on your exit route front or back in the event of fire. If so, locking them is a bad idea

It is generally accepted that internal door locks do nothing to hamper a burglar, increase the damage caused (including "revenge" damage due to you having the locks in the first place), and contribute nothing to the home security

You are wasting your time changing the doors for something "more sturdy" too, as the weak point is not the door, but your cheap, soft internal door linings, which will easily split at the keep or hinges

You are better off fitting an alarm, even if it is just a cheap internal portable motion sensing thing for night use and peace of mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back