best type of silicone for a bath with a shower over it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to seal round an acrylic bath below existing tiles.

I understand all about weighting down the bath before applying etc. I'm just looking for recommendations for really good silicone.

I wondered if I could get anything like the really hard, rubbery, silicone (rubber?) that I've seen in tiled changing rooms before. You'll know the stuff I mean, it's grey and if you shove your fingernail in it bounces back to shape and doesn't leave any permanent mark. It must have been "gunned" in because there were drag marks from it being smoothed.

Anyone know what this stuff is and can a DIYer apply it at home?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I don't know where you would get that stuff?
I have had problems with a shower cubicle seal between the tiles and shower tray.
I have used cheap silicone £2-£3 and they gave way quickly, I then bought evo-stick batroom & shower silicone from b&q for about £6 and have had no problems since (about 2 years ago).
I think no matter what silicone you use you will have too reseal it now and again anyway! :D

After researching I'm looking at either

MS Polymer sealant eg Evostick Nail and Seal

something called Sikaflex 291

or a Polysulphide sealant, like Siroflex

any experience with any of these?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back