Best underlay for solid wood on concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time on so hear goes.

Was going to use laminate on cost basis but have bought a load of solid oak T&G boards in a sale for the hall and dinning room. Have concrete floor which being 60 years old I hope has dried out. Floors pretty level throughout.

Have been to local DIY store to look at underlay options. Seems to be 3 main options.

1. Green Fiberboard (do I need to lay a waterproof membrane??)

2. Some Silver combi membrane/foam stuff that looks a bit like those sun reflectors people put in their car windscreens in the summer. Might be worth it if waterproofing is required.

3. Some 'new'(?) rubber/foam stuff that is adhesive on top and the boards stick to - says it prevents the need for glueing (does it work?)

Gut feeling - currently favour 1. but not sure if waterproofing required.

Any views on the above welcomed. Or other better options if there are any.

Cheers.

HIWAH

Sponsored Links
lets starts with the measurements of the Solid T&G boards you bought: random length? say 18 x 125 x 300-1200mm?

Have you checked how many short lengths there are? If so, only option is to glue the floor down with flexible adhesive like Mapei P990

WYL,

Sorry - been away for a day.

The boards were bought from Homebase and I think they are 12mm thick - I afraid I'm not at home at the moment to look - they are all the same size and although I'm not sure what the dimensions are exactly, they are the standard DIY shop 'boards in a pack' sort of size).

Does any of this make any difference to your recommendation below? i.e. your assumption that they might be 50% thicker?

Why is the gluing to the concrete option better than the others? Does this not result in a more noisey 'harder' floor?

Cheers.

HIWAH.

The most important issue here is the random length of standard DIY-shed solid offers. Most boxes contain loads of short lengths, creating too many hinges (joints) that will make your floor unstable when installed floating.

If that's the case, then glueing down in the best option.
This will not result in more noise, the flexible adhesive works as sound insulation too

Sponsored Links
I have opend 3 (of the 30) packs so far and within a few mm all boards are so far the same length which I'm guessing is about 1100mm. I have not as yet notices any which I would describe as 'short lengths'.

Well, that's good news. You can now either install floating on combi-underlayment and glueing all T&G's correctly or still glue it down.
We have a comprehensive installation guide if you like

WYL,

many thanks.

Is the 'combi-underlayment' you refer to the same as my original option 2? i.e. 'Some Silver combi membrane/foam stuff that looks a bit like those sun reflectors people put in their car windscreens in the summer. Might be worth it if waterproofing is required' If not what is a good one?

I must admit I didn't know there was an incorrect way to glue the T&Gs - you've got me worried now - what is 'the correct way' does it refer to the type of adhesive or the application or what?

HIWAH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back