Best Varnish To Use On Parquet/Block Floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to restore my 45 year old parquet/block floor. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good quality, hard wearing and preferably quick drying (3x cats!!) varnish to use? I think either a satin or gloss would look good - any thoughts on either of these 2 finishes would be appreciated.

Also, is there anywhere where I can get info on the restoration process?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply woodyoulike. I'm not really sure about what finish to use, I'm open to suggestions. I just thought that varnish/laqueur would be low maintenance and permanent.

I don't know what type of wood it is. Its not oak, but several shades of medium to dark wood mixed.

I want to use something that is relatively easy to apply, is hard wearing (its in the hall), protects the floor from rainwater on peoples shoes etc, brings out the colour and grain of the wood. Above all I want something that is permanent and low maintenence, that lasts for years that doesn't need to be re-applied on a regular basis.

Sounds like a tropical wood. We recommend Euku Oil 1 - very easy to apply - followed by wax-polish as wear and tear layer. This product you apply also every 5 -6 moths for regularly maintenance to keep your floor beautiful and dirt and moist repellent

Sponsored Links
I just have to give an alternative to Oil and wax. As you mention you're after a low maintenance product which you'll be able to leave for years. You're also after a quick drying process due to your cats.

In that case I'd definitely use a products such as Aquacoat XTRA from Smith and Rodger Ltd or Bonakemi Mega.

Both products are easy to apply with as large a brush as you can handle, they can be recoated after 2 hours and you only need 3 coats. Also because they contain a polyurethane resin they will bring out the richness in your timber.They are waterbased which means no unpleasant odours throughout the application and you can clean everything with tap water. Finally the Aquacoat XTRA comes in Gloss, Satin and Matt giving a very natural appearance and at the same time excellent protection.

If you need any further information please just ask.

Hope this helps

Ian

ps. If you think there may be any old waxes or stains still engrained in the timber after sanding then a quick coat of Transeal (a shellac barrier seal) will put your mind at ease. You can then go straight over it with the product listed above.

Many thanks for both replies.

Sounds like the products that Woodfinishes1877 has suggested will be ideal.

All advice appreciated.

It might not be ideal. Wax is easy to restore when the inevitable scratches occur. Varnish is much more difficult. If the floor has ever been waxed, or worse silicone polished, the varnish won't stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back