Parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a lovely teak parquet floor that is well past its best. It has a gloss finish that has been there for over 25 years, not sure whether its varnish or some other finish, that has areas where the finish is back to bare wood and other areas that are as good as new. What's the best way to remove it before applying a more modern finish? An industrial sander would remove about 2mm of floor and I don't want to loose that much. There is about 75 sqr metres so I don't fancy too much hands and knees work. Also advice on a hard wearing, satin finish would be appreciated. Perhaps there is a product that would not require too much of the old finish to be removed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need to remove 2mm using a industrial floor sander it's possible to be gentle with one too. Fit it with fine grit sheets and you will be ok, just keep it moving and don't dwell in one place too long.
If you've never used one then I wouldn't bother with an edge sander as they can be akward to use at first, just finish off the egdes with a small orbital and a hand block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back