Best walkway / threshold support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Tidying up this walkthrough in to my new extension, new floating floor will be raised up to be level with existing floorboards.

I'm probably over thinking it but it will be a main walkway so do not want issues or it start squeaking.

Void beneath as there was an airbrick there - telescop vents now installed behind where I'm standing.

so I'm thinking either :

Treated timber or concrete lintels on to the (repaired) DPC on both inner and outer walls.
or
Just one timber / lintel on outer wall (nearest in photo) and screw some treated joist stubs to the side of those 3 existing ones and ones at either side to then extend out to sit on the timber / lintel.

Any advice which is best?

...and yes I think the rad could eventually do with moving ;)

IMG_9951.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Take the wall down to level with beam and block floor, then DPM and insulation??
Yep there will be the DPM and insulation going on to the block and beam and maybe flowing it in to that area would be an option - but I need some kind of decent support bridging that central void which needs to be left to allow the airflow underneath. Would insulation not buckle under any weight?.... or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Also the current brick levels do actually suit dropping some standard size lintels straight in - a bit of cost yeah but not much compared to the faff off taking out bricks to then build up part way - due to the way they are all laid.

Sponsored Links
Oh yeah, you could use some air bricks to fill the void but if you can fit a couple of lintels over the top and get the levels right then it should work fine.
You could fill the cavity with a bit of concrete or more insulation but the insulation slabs will span the cavity if thick enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back