No lintel above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry, I'm back with another question about our extension.

The builder has removed the existing exterior wooden french doors and frame today, which has revealed that there is no lintel above them (previously a 2400mm wide window which was converted into doors and infill panels prior to us buying the house).

I understand that this was an accepted method of building during the 60's when our house was built. The wall is tied into the inner leaf brickwork (which does have a lintel), however I'm not sure of the condition of the ties.

Our builder has suggested inserting a 6x4 timber lintel above the window. He's suggested we either install it upright, which would result losing a couple of inches of head height which isn't ideal.

The other option was to lay it flat (4' height) which would allow the rear edge of the timber to sit on the lip on the metal lintel on the inner leaf of brick (hope that makes sense).

Are both of these an acceptable way forward or would another lintel i.e. something like this http://www.catnic.com/lintel_produc...cat_con=&full_list=true&Page=0&method=Details be more appropriate.

many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
You should not be using timber as external lintels - and your builder should not be suggesting timber in the first place

The linked catnic is OK, and also some of the CNZ models may do

Thanks Woody

He's now gone away to price the catnic (or similar) and a 6x4 concrete lintel. In your opinon would both be ok?

2.4 may be a bit long for a concrete lintel. Although you can buy them, it depends on what load/wall is above.

Maybe best to go with a steel lintel - catnic or similar by other manufacturers.

If so, make sure your builder props the lintel in the centre ( or at 1/3 of the width) before building the bricks back in - otherwise it will sag and the 3-course of bricks will tip forward. And not to prop off the door frame, or the lintel will vibrate if the door is slammed. After a few days, the prop can be removed

Sponsored Links
The CN49C are right pigs to underpin with. The CNZ are not normally man enough
Do not know the size of cav, but if cav big enough, we would be tempted to use an open back Cat or IG. You know it is right then.
oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back