Best water based undercoat primer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm using acrylic satinwood as my topcoat, WRX Satinwood.

For the undercoat / primer, what do people recommend? Should it be an acrylic based one to match?

Such as Johnstones Trade Joncryl Acrylic or Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer Undercoat, or should I use something like Dulux Quick Dry Primer Undercoat?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I keep buying Leyland Acrylic Primer Undercoat, use them or new timber and new mdfs, doors, skirtings and mfcs.

As above, my go to acrylic primer is Leyland Trade. Not only is very cheap, it is easy to sand.

When, for example, painting MDF, is sand it back so much that I can hardly see any of it. Once I reach that stage I can be assured that I have sanded away the parallel sanding lines that are present on all MDF.

The Dulux primer is a pig to sand and clogs the paper.

The Leyland stuff isn't very good at obliterating the existing surface colourwise though. For me that isn't a problem because I then use oil based eggshell over it.

All waterbased paints will cause the grain in wood or MDF to swell. As mentioned previously, that is why I use the Leyland primer- effectively treating it as sacrificial given that I will sand it back. If however, I were going to use a waterbased finish (and the customer insisted that no oil based paints were used) I would probably use either the Johnstones or Dulux as the first coat after the Leyland.

Sponsored Links
Another one for Leyland trade acrylic. It can also be used on plaster. We used it on all our ceilings after we'd removed wallpaper. They were good enough to paint ( 60s house. Must have been the trend later in 60s or 70s to paper ceilings) , but in the past, despite washing down and rinsing and repeat about 3 times, we had areas where the emulsion crackled.
Using the primer stopped it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back