best way for a novice to fix this (with photo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I recently installed a loft ladder that involved lengthening and widening the hatch. All went well but i took away a bit of plaster on the ceiling. What's the best way to fix this? Plasterboard, or just try re plastering that patch and do my best to recreate the stippled artex effect the rest of the ceiling has?

The plaster is about 3/4" thick

Thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
It's lathe and plaster. If plasterboarding the repair then you should cut the old lathes and plaster back to the nearest joist and then cut your plasterboard to size and screw into said joist. You'll then need to skim over the board, feathering into the existing ceiling.

I can't see the stipple in the image but is the stipple part of the plasterwork or is it a textured paint? If it's part of the plasterwork then yes, you'll have to try and re-create the effect in the finishing plaster.

Regards

Fred

FredFlintstone said:
It's lathe and plaster. If plasterboarding the repair then you should cut the old lathes and plaster back to the nearest joist and then cut your plasterboard to size and screw into said joist. You'll then need to skim over the board, feathering into the existing ceiling.

I can't see the stipple in the image but is the stipple part of the plasterwork or is it a textured paint? If it's part of the plasterwork then yes, you'll have to try and re-create the effect in the finishing plaster.

Regards

Fred

Do you think i'd be better off plastering over the lathe, rather than plasterboard. I don't want to cut any more away due to the mess it creates.

I'm thinking a rough coat at first, let it dry and then another coat to bring it level and then i'll get some artex and try and blend it in.

The texture is artex i believe.

Thanks for your input.

How thick is the plaster backing coat? If it's only 10mm or less then I'd do it in one go. You'll need to make sure you push the plaster right into the gaps between the lathe too. Have a look from bove at some of the existing plaster and you'll see what I mean - it's what will keep the plaster up there.

Once the backing coat goes off you can then skim it up and texture it to your hearts content.

Sponsored Links
FredFlintstone said:
How thick is the plaster backing coat? If it's only 10mm or less then I'd do it in one go. You'll need to make sure you push the plaster right into the gaps between the lathe too. Have a look from bove at some of the existing plaster and you'll see what I mean - it's what will keep the plaster up there.

Once the backing coat goes off you can then skim it up and texture it to your hearts content.

It looks about 1/2" thick, and i see what you mean about the plaster, push up plenty so it overlaps the lathe.

Hairy Steve said:
It looks about 1/2" thick, and i see what you mean about the plaster, push up plenty so it overlaps the lathe.

That's it Steve - it'll hold it in place nicely then.

Just do it in one coat.

regards

Fred

last question honest.

Am i better getting some of that ready mix plaster or mixing it meself. Any particular brand?

Hairy Steve said:
last question honest.

Am i better getting some of that ready mix plaster or mixing it meself. Any particular brand?

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay replying.

whatever you do, DON'T get the ready mixed stuff. It's useless. I've seen it on many jobs where the client has tried to do their own repair. The stuff is disgusting and it never ever seems to harden properly, always maintaining a sponge like texture.

Don't go for the one coat stuff either.

You're only going to need a small amount but the 25kg bags are only marginally dearer than the 10kg bags aimed at the DIY market. Thistle bonding or possibly browning would be better than any ready mixed or one coat plaster you could get.

regards

Fred

Hi.I to would use Thistle Bonding Coat to plaster onto the wooden lath.Make sure that before you plaster onto the area that you give it a good soak with a wet brush maybe 2 or 3 times,and then also PVA the edges of the original plaster.While the PVA is still wet,bring the plaster patch down flush in a couple of coats.Don't overload it.Let it go off a little.Make sure that you push the new plaster well into the wet PVA on the existing edges.When the bonding coat has set,finish it off with Thistle Multi Finish.Good luck.Regards

All good advice. I bought a 25KG bag of thistle bonding and a plastering trowel today, plus some PVA.

I'll give it a go on Sunday and post the results.

25kg bag was only £5.50 :D

all the <10kg bags were around £4.00

Bloody false economy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back