Best way for me to use a juntion box on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got hold of several juntion boxes.

I purchased the 4 terminal 20AMP white versions.

I have a lighting circuit in the living room that I would like to update.

In the center I have one of those 240v halogen 4 way spots, and I also have 2 wall lights for 'mood lighting'.

The switch controlling both in 2 way.

The wall lights power is run from center, hence in the center. In addition the lighting circuit continues on to the kitchen from here.

So as you can imagine, there is a lot of cables cramed into one juntion box. The guy before me decided just to use a cable connector for the earth, and so the earth cables are hanging loose next to the juntion box which is really messey.

Whats the best way to proceed here ?
Should I simply use a few more juntion boxes ?

Out of the 4 terminals should each terminal be used as follows ?

[1] pass through live
[2] pass through earth
[3] switch

Sponsored Links
Use a 6 -way JB for this purpose, you will have more room and enough terminals without the need for choc blocks.

The four connections in lighting are: neutral, earth, live and switched live, but of course there is often more than one switched live.

Don't forget to sleeve the bare earth wire with g/y sleeving and the switched lives (if not red/brown) with red or brown sleeving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back