Best way of getting rid of tree stump (that’s out of the ground)?

I dog out a Biggie, by hand, took me weeks. Winched it onto my trailer, took it to the tip and they sent me down the bottom bit (where the bin lorries empty) into a huge building that absolutely stank - we manhandled it off the back onto the floor. On the way out they gave me a weighbridge ticket - the stump weighed in at 600kg!

View attachment 305216
You did well, I can see the pride on your face and you're a lot younger than I imagined you to be.

Sponsored Links
Trim the roots; dig a hole and bury it. The wood will rot away soon enough and it'll attract bugs that'll feed the birds. It's a shame there's no moss since it'd soon spread nicely across the earth.

I wonder what a stump grinder would have charged.

Sponsored Links
Leave it to dry out then whack it to shock the mud off before using the chainsaw. A hammer and cold chisel or crow bar may help removing dry mud.

Last stump grinder bloke i used (8 years ago) was about £120 to grind out an elm stump a metre in diameter. Took the machine about 2 hours, gave me a huge pile of wood chips to get rid of. The machine was a little tracked thing, weighed about 4 tons - it needed that weight.

NSS! but true, the majority of commonly towed wood chippers are in the 4” to 8” range
I thought i'd just make it clear in case the OP didn't know how a wood chipper works.

Even the big ones at 10" wouldn't take anything like a stump. Wrong tool for the job. That's what stump grinders are for!

I took a load of trees out of my garden and I was left with two sizeable stumps that I could not get rid of for firewood/stumpery. I crammed one into an oil barrel planter so it's now feeding a fruit tree and the other one eventually went in a skip we had for other stuff.

Not suggesting it but some helpfulnsof recently put their tree cuttings behind their fence in the no man's land between theirs and mine

but trying to avoid the manual labour if possible!
I'm not sure that is possible.

I would start by cutting off as many roots as possible with a pair of loppers. As well as removing some weight that will let the soil dry a bit more, or let water in more if you use a pressure washer. Also it will make it easier to see the structure.

Next I would employ a demolition saw to cut off whatever is possible. For mine I use 5TPI and even 3TPI blades that get through wood pretty fast.

There seem to be a lot of thickish roots that can be removed using a demolition saw. More significantly, IMO, there are a lot of, for want of a better word, sub-trunks rather than one massive single trunk. So you may be able to get quite a bit of weight off that way, as well as opening it up more.

In between each lot of cutting I would give it a good few blows with, say, a sledgehammer to knock loose any dirt which is now dry or free.

If you can get the weight down enough to make it moveable then any of the possible ideas (giving away, taking to the dump, burying, etc) become possible / easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back