Best way of overriding a fuse?

Seen this last year. I operated the lighting at my school when I was there. Strand Tempus dimmer pack, channel blew a fuse. I remove the 15A fuse carrier and yep the fuse is blown, so I borrowed one from the dimmer below on a free channel, open up to find a filed-to-size screw! On checking the others, there were 3 in total like this.

Needless to say, no one knew how they got there :mad: few days later after sending the technician to supplier, all sorted :) lol

Sponsored Links
There are (or were) special "13A" plugs without fuses available for hospital portable X-ray machines.
Yep, I've seen the infamous 'red plugs' still in use fairly recently (within the last 2 or 3 years), but I think that they were only ever used by a couple of manufacturers of hospital portable X-ray machines (plus those few machines designed for 'domicillary' use). Most hospital portable machines use 30A plugs.

For those who consider that the only purpose of the fuse in a BS1363 plug is to protect the flexible cable attached to it, these plugs do not present a compliance problem in that regard if used for the intended purpose and according to the MI - which states a minimum flex CSA of 4mm² (hence adequately protected by the circuit's OPD); apart from the absent fuse, the other difference from BS1363 plugs is that the cable clamp and internal architecture is designed to take cables up to 6mm².

The reality is that these machines take well under 13A nearly all the time, the brief excursion above this only being during the X-ray exposure (usually less than 1 second) - so I'd actually be surprised if a BS1362 13A fuse would actually operate in response to that, even if it were present.

Kind Regards, John.

Ooooh that looks like a good idea, I need a 32A supply for my new coffee machine in my coffee shop, this looks just the ticket. Where can I get the supplies for this? Or do they make them pre-made?
I doubt they are pre-made - I don't see any insulated sleeve on the earth pins :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back