Best way to acheive it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Newbie to the forum, been lurking a week but like what I see :D
I need to clean & re-lay the roof on a property I own in Poland, it's an old house, probably some parts of it are from the beginning of 1800's with it being extended in 1935 and again 1939 (built up) the walls vary from 70 cm thick to 50-45cm. The roof is single lock ceramic tiles with lime mortar. (35 x25cm approx) and the roof is 5m x 13m (one half) I want to lengthen the roof over the gable end by at least two tiles to achieve a dry verge and again extend the eaves by at least a tile or two. The chimneys are in need of attention, which will be addressed at the same time and one or two of the rafters will need replaced (back gevel) the roof construction has perlins half way up the rafters, which are 1m centres and the wall plate is a good 50cm higher than the floor so loads of living space for a future conversion with dormers.
I also need to fit snow catchcers access steps and walkway between chimneys. Going to use vapour membrane, eaves tray and new impregnated battons. Fascia & soffit
So that's the story now the questions.
1. should I clean the roof before removing (pressure washer)?
2. would 5 x 7cm be strong enough to construct the eaves (Presumeably screwed against the rafter) to support the overhanging two tiles facscia, soffit and guttering.
3.How could I best construct the gable end as would like to keep the moulded feature? thinking of buying end tiles to finish if can find a reasonable match or suitor.
4. Should I fit ventilation tiles top and bottom in view of future insulation/ conversion of the loft, and soffit vents.
5. would I need to use lime mortar again on the tiles? don't think there's a nail hole :?
I have'nt got the bother of building regs, planning permission or inspectors to worry about and do what I want to the place, after all it's mine :lol
[url]//www.diynot.com/network/getroundtuit/albums/[/url]

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome to the forum , you'll probably find it quite addictive :D . 1, no , if they really need cleaning do it when they are stripped but in all honesty I would bother cleaning often ruins the look age and patina.
2, yes
3, hard to tell from the photo, would a ladder frame work?
4, Ventilation never hurts
5, generally a weak mix is used with tiles and lime is flexible and breaths so I'd stick with the lime. I've had instances where old tiles have been needed (or rather required by the architect) to be nailed but have no holes and a simple solution is to cut a small slot at 90* in the side of the tile to take the nail.
The spacing of the rafters at 1m seems very wide.

I need to clean & re-lay the roof on a property I own in Poland, it's an old house, probably some parts of it are from the beginning of 1800's with it being extended again in 1939 **** Vas zat such ein gut :idea: @ that time :mrgreen:***** Velcommen to die Forum.

I need to clean & re-lay the roof on a property I own in Poland, it's an old house, probably some parts of it are from the beginning of 1800's with it being extended again in 1939 **** Vas zat such ein gut :idea: @ that time :mrgreen:***** Velcommen to die Forum.
Vielen danke, das haus ist eine deutsches haus, im dem verloren gebeit.
Another thing to make you green, I only paid 22500 euros for it two years ago the whole plot is 1950 m2.
Thanks for the replies...

Sponsored Links
@ ladylola. I would like to clean the tiles as they are heavily soiled around the chimneys from soot and thought maybe it was better to clean it before removal as the added labour of taking them down from the scaffold and back , which I might have to do anyway in view of the weight. The rafters are 10 x 14 cm and at 1m centres, I don't think they are joined to each other in the apex as can remember noticeing it the last time I was in the attic. The reason I was'nt keen on the lime mortar was the mess I envisaged all over my new membrane :rolleyes: but I guess after you've done a meter or two you'll get the hang of it. I won't be going back to it untill early next due to work commitments but need to get a plan together so the little time on my project has to be optimised.

I see why you want to clean them now. I'd still personally clean them off the roof as I never like the idea of high pressure water jets being sprayed onto a roof, far to easy for water to be forced upwards and into the roof space itsself.
Lime does take a bit of getting use to it's true but you'll soon pick it up, there's loads of info on the net although I don't suppose it'll be the right weather for it at this time of year in Poland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back