Best way to build base for log cabin in sloped garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning on building a 12ft x 10ft log cabin at the end of our garden but are trying to figure out how best to create a sturdy base for it. Our garden is 16ft wide and slopes up towards the back where the fence dividing the garden from our opposite neighbours garden starts. Because of this continuous slope up into their garden we are going to build some sort of platform for the shed with some steps up to it (instead of levelling the garden) and were wondering how best to do this.

A friend suggested using some railway sleepers to build a level sort of containing wall into the slope and then filling this with cement. I like this idea, but have no idea where to start and who I should get in touch with. If it's a good approach, I'm pretty sure with some help I can sort out setting up the sleepers myself, but not sure how to go about filling with cement and whether it would need reinforcement? Could this just be done myself with bags of cement, or should cement be pumped in? Could this be done by an absolute novice, or who should I get in touch with to do the job professionally? Does this even need cement or are there other options?
At a rough estimate I reckon the height difference on the slope is about a 1.5ft for the full depth of the shed base.

I do like to try and do work myself purely because I am interested in learning new things, but I'm quite happy to call in professionals if it's something a novice shouldn't really do :)

Any advice welcome! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

How about building a deck type platform. Set 4x4 posts into holes with postcrete and then attach the joists to those with coachbolts.

Relatively quick and simple to do. I did it for my kid's playhouse, although it's not quite as big as 12ft. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back