Best way to build shelves on angled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put some shelves in a new loft conversion bedroom. See picture below, I have sketched the sort of thing I’m after in the right hand alcove, and the lower sketches show a couple of potential ways I came up with to do this.

Could anyone please help with how to put these together to look half decent, to get the angles of the cuts right & be structurally sound? Or even suggest a totally different approach :)

To avoid directly attaching to the walls, I was thinking building a frame in the alcove and the shelf pieces are attached to that (or sitting on half dowel battens?)

I have quite a bit of lengths of chunky timber lying about, from the spare wood from the loft conversion. However, I am not averse to buying new stuff for this job. The alcove is approx 46cm deep.

many thanks

42365FC1-66E7-454D-B45E-7A1F09720178.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Either is good, but if it was me I would do the LH solution. For something like that laminate MDF is a good material, however it will tend to bend over time with any weight on it, so I would 1) think about putting a back on it to support the rear of the shelves. (which you can finish to match the wall) and 2) put some sort of strengthener across the front. Something I have done many times is to get some nice timber battens and dowel them on to the edge of the laminate MDF. The battens can be a little deeper section for rigidity and will take a profile edge - either just a simple rounding off, or a decorative profile with a router cutter. Dowel and screw the shelves into the RH panel.

I wouldn't use chunky wood for the RH side - will look to heavy IMO - you could use it for the shelves perhaps.

However, lots of different ways to do this....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back