Best way to clean up an old rusty vice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently discovered an old 'Sheffield Record' 1 Ton vice half buried in an old shed.

Thought I'd see if I can get it functional. I've dismantled it (took some time, it was rusted solid).

Looks like it should be okay once I've cleaned off all of the rust. I've got rid of the excess with a wire brush on my drill and tried soaking it in white vinegar to remove some of the rest but that didn't help much. Wish I had access to a sandblasting cabinet to clean back to bare metal but that's way beyond my means just for cleaning an old vice and it's not as if you can walk into a workshop and rent some time on one.

The top of the slide in particular is pretty pitted and a bit lumpy, nothing terrible but I'd like to take it back to smooth bare metal. What's the best way to do this? A fine file? Sanding disc attached to a drill?

The handle is also very pitted but solid.

I'll probably need to replace the jaws as they're a bit of a mess.

Once I've cleaned down to reasonably bare metal (or bare, non-flaking rust ......) I was planning to spray the usually painted parts with blue Hammerite.

Would welcome any tips.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't unfortunately have an angle grinder, is there something I can attach to a drill for a similar effect?

Sponsored Links
How big is it? If you can immerse it (one side at a time if necessary) you can remove the rust by electrolysis without abrading away surface detail.

It is neither expensive nor difficult.

BTW I dislike Hammerite, because it is non-original, very difficult to recoat or touch up, and rust can progress under the paint film.

How big is it? If you can immerse it (one side at a time if necessary) you can remove the rust by electrolysis without abrading away surface detail.

It is neither expensive nor difficult.

BTW I dislike Hammerite, because it is non-original, very difficult to recoat or touch up, and rust can progress under the paint film.
Thanks, I'll look up how to use electrolysis. The vice is of a reasonable size and weight - I guess about a foot long when the jaws are closed.

Noted re the Hammerite, I thought that stuff was supposed to neutralise the rust.

Use citric acid to remove rust Vs the electrolysis. Be easier and less messing about for a one off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back