best way to clear moss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seem to be some local firms that just jetwash the roof, and others that say they hand remove it and apply an inhibitor. Anyone with any experience of either?

Sponsored Links
There seem to be some local firms that just jetwash the roof, and others that say they hand remove it and apply an inhibitor. Anyone with any experience of either?

Do not jetwash or allow anyone else to jetwash it - it can so tremendous damage to the roof and the ceilings blow. Copper oxide washed of bare copper will help kill it, given time. String bare copper across the roof near the apex.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, so that’s jet washing out. Anything effective I could do myself without climbing onto the roof - scraping with a telescopic rake, or moss killer using a sprayer?

Using a ladder up to the gutter level, use a stiff broom to drag any moss down. Then clear out the gutters, no need to go on to the roof.

Extend the broom handle with a length of timber screwed to the handle, tile batten would be ideal.

Make sure you have someone 'footing' the ladder or make sure the ladder is very secure.

Andy

Our friend has recently had her chalet bungalow roof de-mossed by a relative of hers who does this sort of thing. I think she said she paid around. £1,200 but it involved a lot of brushing and chemicals. Took more than one visit though but she’s very pleased with it. I think she said it had to be treated first to kill/neutralise the moss before the brushing /scraping otherwise the spores will just spread.

I’ve tried thin copper strips on my north facing roof......60mm wide by .05 if I recall - slid under the second row of roofing tiles.
It worked great, but only on the next course down - after that, no difference.
John :)

I’ve tried thin copper strips on my north facing roof......60mm wide by .05 if I recall - slid under the second row of roofing tiles.
It worked great, but only on the next course down - after that, no difference.

More copper surface needed :)

Exactly, but I did hope that there would be more effect than there was.....but, there you go.
Expensive too!

Q: best way to clear moss.

A = don't

I had it on my garages flat corrugated roof. It was obstructing the channels, allowing rain water to over spill to the inside - so I had to do something to kill it off. I strung lots of bare copper across the highest part and is worked great, once it had oxidised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back