Best way to cut mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Have a piece of mdf (about 20mm thick) that I intend to cut to size to form my loft hatch. Firstly, is mdf good for this? A little concerned that the corners will get knocked in over time, but hopefully not.

What's the best way to cut mdf neatly to size? Should I use a jigsaw or a circular saw? I would have thought a circular saw would be too rough a cut, especially the blade I have on mine. Came with the saw?

Odd question I know, but would appreciate some experienced advice. I'm basically lookign at getting a good straight cut.

Sponsored Links
If it was me i would use plywood, and cut it by hand with a nice sharp saw, jigsaw will go all over the pace.

If you have the measurements you could always get a piece of Ply from B&Q and get them to cut it for you, job done :)

20mm mdf would be fine IMO.
Cut with your circular saw, clamp a straight edge as a guide. (Use a dust mask!)
Sand the edges afterwards.
You could always reinforce the edges with a timber batten if you're that concerned.
If your loft is insulated (i.e. not converted) then staple some insulation wrapped in plastic to the topside of the hatch, or use a rigid insulation board.
You could also add a draught proof strip all round the closing edge.

Sponsored Links
i would also use ply especially if there's any damp
a 12mm ply door will be around half the weight off a mdf door something worth considering when manoeuvering at the top off a ladder with one hand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back