Best way to cut up a metal bed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've purchased a super king size bed but the base which the mattress sits on top of, but is covered buy the frame outside of it so can't be seen, is one large metal frame which cannot fit up my staircase :(, or rather than gap between the hall and stairway isn't large enough to turn it up the stairs. This frame then sits on legs to lift it off the ground while inside of the frame.

So I need to figure a way of getting it up stairs, my current thought is to cut it in two, drill holes on either side to lay a metal plate across and put a bolt through then add extra legs to the middle for support. It only comes with four, one for each corner. I'm not sure if this is the best way though so thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas? Or even if this is the best way any tips on how to do it as I've never done anything even vaguely similar to this before.

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_110537.jpg
    IMG_20210907_110537.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
The old fashioned way to get furniture which was too big, up the stairs, was to take a window frame out. I'm surprised there is no way to disassemble such a large item - most double bed bases come as two sections.

If you are 'cutting and shutting' then you would need two lengths of metal per side - one horizontal, one vertical reinforcing. Each piece of metal would need four bolts, no need to botch an extra support in the middle then.

I think if you do that you'll need to add some form of tie rod or the like to each of the half frames (making them into full frames) to prevent them from spreading in use. The timber laths don't tie the frame together

If the side tubes ( the ones you are thinking of cutting ) are hollow then a long length of rod slid into them would add a lot of strength to the join.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking "better ideas"? Take it back and buy another where the frame comes apart or is 2-part? Make a new frame yourself (probably just four pieces of angle iron, four corner angle plates, nuts, bolts and a load of drilling - not that much more effort than cutting and jointing)? Take the bannisters off? Take the upstairs window out?

If it is angle iron frame would it not be possible and better to disconnect at the corners, even if that means cutting and fanricsting angle plated to hold it all together? If it's a thin wall rectangular tube (possibly - it has radiused corners) I'd be wary of cutting it as there is very little steelin those thin walled tubes to screw into or weld to. I don't think it's a good idea to go cutting that stuff

Seriously though, did the guys who delivered this not say anything? I always thought they'd take it up to the bedroom for you as part of the delivery service

you guys must have better eyes than me, or be psychic, needs some better photos, especially that central strut.

you guys must have better eyes than me, or be psychic, needs some better photos, especially that central strut.
Can you see the black bit in the middle of the bottom end? That's the end of the centre strut. It doesn't need to be metal, though, I've come across beds where it is just a plastic or rubber "chain" used to keep the slats apart in the middle

OP, if you modify the bed your warranty will probably be voided as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you do that you'll need to add some form of tie rod or the like to each of the half frames (making them into full frames) to prevent them from spreading in use. The timber laths don't tie the frame together

Good point, I missed that!

I missed that bit in the middle which @freddiemercurystwin asked about. If it's a plastic or rubber tie piece then no problems, it can probably just be cut, but what if it's a steel central strut?

OP, if you do modify the base your warranty will probably be void as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll respond to everyone's comments & questions below:
  • @Harry Bloomfield it's just one very large frame of metal unfortunately. I had looked at getting the upstairs window taken out but a friend new by has a similar issue to me and to get that done and scaffolding setup to bring the bed up it'll be £400, which is not only a lot but it's the same again should I move house. I believe his is the actual bed frame not just the bed base so can't cut it in two without it looking awful though.
  • @JobAndKnock I think you're right, I was thinking of a plate of metal and bolting it through the frame to hold it together. Also the centre bar is metal and welded at each end to the main frame if that's what your second response was referring to. Had thought about the warranty but I'm not to bothered as the main frame that you see is covered separately to this base. Unfortunately it's not the banister that is the issue, I'll see if I can grab a photo and add it to this thread, as I already have it I thought I'd see about modifying it if possible and unfortunately it was delivered in one the last lockdowns so due to COVID rules they wouldn't take it into the house :(.
  • @bernardgreen yes I believe they are hollow from knocking on them so a rod would be a great idea. Do you think it would just sit in place or need something to keep it in the middle?
  • @foxhole A quick Google leads me to think that might not be the case, from what I gather an angle frame is separate pieces of metal joined together whereas this is one large piece bent around and joined somewhere (didn't spot where in a quick glance)
  • @HERTS P&D never know, might end up needing room for a third!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back