Kids floating loft bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm looking to build a floating loft bed in my 4yo's room, and hoping for advice about how best to do it. I'm looking to build a timber frame (c.800x2050) attached to two or three walls, with an 18mm plywood top to support the mattress. The walls are a bit of an odd mixture (see picture):

- Brick wall at one end
- Stud wall at the opposite end
- Side wall is brick but over the top of it there are thin battens, 50mm solid insulation, and then plasterboard

Hoping to largely support the frame with masonry bolts in the brick wall at the one end, and coach screws or something in the stud wall at the bottom end. Unsure whether I should also attach a batten to the side wall but it's not completely flat and the brick is behind the layer of plasterboard, insulation and then an air space.

Planning to have three joists between the top and bottom battens (see picture), but not sure how to attach these- joist hangers an option but are quite ugly; wondering if pocket screws would be strong enough; or should I be using a half lap joint or something else to rest them on the battens at either end?

Planning to build the frame in 95x45mm CLS timber, but would welcome thoughts on that. Anyway, would be grateful for views on:

- Choice of timber
- How to attach to walls
- How to fix frame together

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• thumbnail_PXL_20210101_093215901.jpg
    thumbnail_PXL_20210101_093215901.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
You haven’t mentioned height from floor, 4year old is too young for top bunk on bunk beds or a raised bed .

Good question. Probably about 1.5m at most. Have just seen that the recommended age for top bunk is 6, but was thinking of building the loft as a place for him to play with lego etc away from baby sister. Then he could move to sleep up there any play underneath (it's a very small room). May hold off a while though. Still, any thoughts welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back