Battening wall for pallet wood - some questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if there is a better forum for this. I wasn't sure the best place to post it.

My end goal is this setup; battens down the wall so I can attach pallet wood to create a feature wall in my home office.

DH1A1Jq.jpg

I need some advice:

- Two of the walls I'll be battening onto are brick. I assume plug and screw is the right solution here, but what length of screw should I use?

- The back of the smallest piece of wall is insulated dry wall. Here's the back of it:

kHqpihg.jpg

What would be the best way of battening onto this? Should I attach the battens inline with the stud?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
- Two of the walls I'll be battening onto are brick. I assume plug and screw is the right solution here, but what length of screw should I use?
Yes. 5.5mm holes, red plugs, 4.0 x 45mm screws (assuming 2 x 1in nominal slate laths which should work out at 20 to 22mm thick)

- The back of the smallest piece of wall is insulated dry wall...

...What would be the best way of battening onto this? Should I attach the battens inline with the stud?
You could cross batten with laths (horizontal) fixing with 4.0 x 60mm screws straight into the studs, then either overclad that with 6mm OSB (fixing the pallet wood to the OSB) or alternatively cross batten again, this time vertically (4.0 x 40mm screws)¥.

In fact if you were to just clad the walls with thin OSB straight to the studs or masonry (5.0 x 50mm screws should do for it all), you could attach your pallet wood to the OSB and you wouldn't need to cut it to length - just lay it on random. I've done that in a bar before now, but I was using wine box tops

Yes. 5.5mm holes, red plugs, 4.0 x 45mm screws (assuming 2 x 1in nominal slate laths which should work out at 20 to 22mm thick)
You could cross batten with laths (horizontal) fixing with 4.0 x 60mm screws straight into the studs, then either overclad that with 6mm OSB (fixing the pallet wood to the OSB) or alternatively cross batten again, this time vertically (4.0 x 40mm screws)¥.

In fact if you were to just clad the walls with thin OSB straight to the studs or masonry (5.0 x 50mm screws should do for it all), you could attach your pallet wood to the OSB and you wouldn't need to cut it to length - just lay it on random. I've done that in a bar before now, but I was using wine box tops

I want to use battens, so there is space behind to run cables.

Yes, I was thinking of using 25mm x 50mm (2x1 inch) battens.

When you say 45mm / 60mm screws there seem to be a million different screws in the world - can you link me to the appropriate ones?

Sponsored Links
Lots out there - but for you I would suggest 'Screwfix Gold Screw'.
Sharp but not too sharp.
Works well with Rawl plugs.
And not too expensive.
And if you have more projects then buying the same type next time means you keep using the same drill_bit/screwdriver size.

For all the sizes
https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-n...p=managedredirect-_-screwsfixings-_-goldscrew

This small case also makes for a good starting point:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscre...oodscrews-trade-case-grab-pack-1000-pcs/99867

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back