Best way to cut up a metal bed base

In that case, take the wooden slats off and the plastic rubber end strips. Find yourself a back street garage that does car body repairs and get them to MiG weld two metal straps side to side at the top and the bottom with a few millimetres between them. Get him to weld you so strengthening fish plates to the sides which can be drilled and bolted (to take your fish plate joiner). Angle grind them apart, making two half frames. Fish plates to hold it together can come from a metal supplier or a scrap yard

The reason for a car body shop is that they can generally weld thin metal sheet effectively. Steel fabricators who deal with heavier stuff aren't always that good with thin metal I find

Sponsored Links
In that case, take the wooden slats off and the plastic rubber end strips. Find yourself a back street garage that does car body repairs and get them to MiG weld two metal straps side to side at the top and the bottom with a few millimetres between them. Get him to weld you so strengthening fish plates to the sides which can be drilled and bolted (to take your fish plate joiner). Angle grind them apart, making two half frames. Fish plates to hold it together can come from a metal supplier or a scrap yard

It might even be possible to add hinges in the middle, along with fishplates, so the fishplates can be unbolted then the whole thing folded in half.

Sponsored Links
If the wooden slats come off/out would that make a difference to its manœuvrability?

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm either going to go with @JobAndKnock suggestion or putting a metal bar inside of the two halfs and bolt them in place. Should do it next week (maybe the week after) so I'll put photos of how I did (or failed :LOL:) to do it.

Unfortunately @Captain Nemesis the issue is the large metal outer frame that's getting in the way so even taking the slats off wouldn't help.

One suggestion is to find a couple of removal guys and pay them £20 each to come round, £50 if they can get it upstairs. You'd be surprised what a few years experience in getting large objects upstairs does.

Or get some bamboo canes, tape them into a frame and spend a couple of evenings trying to get it upstairs.
Being light makes it easier to try.

This was the last emotional photo ElBarto619 took of his bed frame after he'd cut it in two, just before he went and bought a bed that fits.

12153.jpg

Haha well done.

Whilst I appreciate that getting a new bed would seem like the obvious solution with 6-8 week wait times and few options for the type of bed we want and the fact that we have purchased a whole bundle of products that go alongside the bed the most viable option right now is chopping up the bed!
It seems ridiculous that someone would make and ship a bed frame (super king) that is in one piece because I can't imagine many stairways that this would fit up. Unless you live in a castle. In which case you're probs not buying an 'Emma' mattress and bed frame.

Well, dismissing that it's somehow the manufacturers fault and all joking aside, post a new thread with some useful photos rather than hijacking this crappy thread.

I don't want to- I just want to hear from @ElBarto619 on how it panned out. Can't message them direct so here we are. You're here so i'm sure you're equally desperate to hear the result. Hoping they provide inspiration for all of us would be bed dismantlers out there.

Incase anyone is following along at home or for the future person that finds themselves in a similar predicament it bloody worked! Took about 40 hours rather than the 40 mins it should have done but cutting the frame in half and bolting back together worked alongside some adjustable ottoman legs that reinforced the frame.

I don't want to- I just want to hear from @ElBarto619 on how it panned out. Can't message them direct so here we are. You're here so i'm sure you're equally desperate to hear the result. Hoping they provide inspiration for all of us would be bed dismantlers out there.
You can message them on here. Touch name next to post and select start conversation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back