Best way to deal with multiple issues (Ariston A23MFFI)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for thoughts or advice on this one please :)
I've got an Ariston Eurocombi A23MFFI. Heap of junk basically, and I know it
:p
It's currently got a small multitude of issues, and is getting worse, although it's always passed the safety/ servicing. The current list of issues:
1. The pump sounds like a bag of bolts. Looks to be ~£100 for the part I think.
2. The little screw on the filling loop is dodgy as hell. A previous owner bashed the head up a bit, and it's getting worse. I *think* it can be isolated at both ends from the pipework, so relatively simple fix to pull and replace?
3. Small pressure loss issue. I've always filled to 1.5 bar, letting it get up to ~2.5 bar when working. It's now loosing about 1 bar every 6 weeks. Some of this I suspect is the filling loop, and there's also a minor leak somewhere in the pipework underneath. (I can't find this or see any corrosion inside or out, but the top of my breadbin under the boiler sometimes gets slightly damp)
4. The newest issue, and one that's got me concerned is misfiring. The fan spins up and the pump starts and it lights then drops off. Everything then repeats and it goes on the second or third attempt.

I'd sorely like to replace with a new boiler, but can't really afford the 1.5k needed.
I've got no problem messing with the DHW side, and know a reasonable amount about electronics, although I don't really want to go after PCBs. Not touching the pump on the heating :)

Any thoughts on the approx cost to fix this thing semi-reasonably?

Sponsored Links
Scratch not being able to find the leak, it's coming from the end of the diverter valve with the microswitch on :(
Just found a lovely little patch of black stuff there too.

Take the controls right off, don't try to look around them :rolleyes:

Even including a new pump I would be surprised if I would need to charge anything over £200 if it was in our local area!

Tony

Anyone happen to have a reccomend for someone in Norwich?
I've had several people over the phone who reckon it's basically not worth the trouble of trying to fix it (Good money after bad keeps being mentioned), a couple who don't do Aristons and various who haven't got back :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Somewhere about 10 years old would be the best I could do. Came with the house :)

Awaiting someone who may be able to take a look tomorrow, so we shall see.

Whilst not the best boiler they are totally repairable if you can find a proper engineer.

I dont get very excited by them but I still repair them just like any other boiler.

At that age they are very similar to Danny's favourite Vokera boilers.

Tony

Engineers verdict is that the diverter valve needs replacing as a minimum. Pump is dodgy, but will keep going for an indeterminate time. He estimated that I'm looking at approx £200 for the valve and bits, and is going to get back to me with exact pricing.

Having said that, his 'honest' opinion was that it's getting to the stage where he doesn't want to repair the boiler, as he's not sure how long things are likely to last if he fixes the first bit, something else is likely to go.
In essence he was advocating sticking a bowl underneath to catch the leak until it either dies or I replace with something new.

I've asked for a couple of replacement options; Ballpark figure was approx £2.1k- £2.2k for a Viessmann, powerflush, magnaclean and associated bits including repairing any small leaks & stuff caused by the flush.

Any further thoughts?

You will most likely get more costs, but may be worth it.
Viessmann is nice bit of kit, flushing the system is always good if there are signs of corrosion.
No need for a filter if your system is/has been cleaned properly

For which option?
At the moment, I seem to have an immediate £200 bill (valve leaking) and a second £200 bill/ extra £100 ish. to replace the pump as and when. After that I obviously don't know how long it'll take something else to fail, and his opinion was that it might last months before something else dies or years :)

Edit: Sorry, forgot to ask either the engineer or before now- Will it pass this years safety certificate with a leak, or would that be a fail?

For which option?

Repairing it.
At the moment, I seem to have an immediate £200 bill (valve leaking) and a second £200 bill/ extra £100 ish. to replace the pump as and when. After that I obviously don't know how long it'll take something else to fail, and his opinion was that it might last months before something else dies or years :)

That's what I meant; if you get 5 more years out of it for £400, it's worth it.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to ask either the engineer or before now- Will it pass this years safety certificate with a leak, or would that be a fail?

It will pass, a water leak does not make it unsafe, just unreliable.

Ps,
If there is any sign of dirt/corrosion, do a chemical flush, and keep your inhibitor topped up afterwards. It needs doing anyway before you change the boiler, so you might as well do it now.

It will pass, a water leak does not make it unsafe, just unreliable.

Ps,
If there is any sign of dirt/corrosion, do a chemical flush, and keep your inhibitor topped up afterwards. It needs doing anyway before you change the boiler, so you might as well do it now.

Cheers, that's useful :)

Powerflush wise, from what I've been reading most manufacturers would want this done on the boiler install, and wouldn't care about it being done 'only' a year or two earlier?

With the dirt/ corrosion issue, the central heating water is relatively clean on bleeding rads, but I've also got two rads in need of replacement, but which aren't leaking or anything. (Downstairs bathroom & front room, both showing signs of rust around the bung on the top corner)

Powerflush wise, from what I've been reading most manufacturers would want this done on the boiler install, and wouldn't care about it being done 'only' a year or two earlier?

Bollocks, salestalk, bovine manure; ( power ) flushing is possibly the number one subject in this business when it comes to fairy tales.
The system needs to be clean, when and how this was achieved is irrelevant.

With the dirt/ corrosion issue, the central heating water is relatively clean

Means nothing.

Bump after a few days :)
Had a chat with another guy that I know (Hadn't thought of him before as he's several hundred miles away from the boiler ), he reckons the leak could well be cause for a safety fail, although he would need to see the boiler.
He thinks a Baxi or possibly a Glow-Worm depending on model might well represent better value for money as a replacement option.

Further thoughts anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back