Best way to decommission existing wired alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering what’s the best way and what to do to decommission an old existing wired alarm.

I’m going to change to a wireless/app system. I think I’m going to keep the outdoor wiring to the siren, and use that, with an adapter for the new siren though.

So am I correct in thinking….

Remove battery in outdoor siren
Remove battery inside main panel
Switch off/remove fuse to main panel.

Then I disconnect all sensors on doors, motion sensors.

With existing wiring I can just cut off and push into walls hopefully?

Anything else I need to do, specifically so I don’t get any alarms going off!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That would be the correct procedure, however i would recommend to reuse existing wiring where possible and use a hybrid panel with wireless additions as required

It does make me laugh when we get requests to remove wired system for wireless.

Best to reuse wires as already said and use wireless for areas you can’t get cables to.

Hard wired or hybrid systems are canals of using apps.

Sponsored Links
As above, if your new sensors are going in the same positions or nearby then use the existing wiring where you can.

Same with CCTV systems, wired always first choice.

I want to decommission as had continuous problems with old alarm, tampers, motion are ancient etc.

So I don’t want hybrid as want to go the wireless/app route and hopefully then will use it.

So am I correct in the procedure above? The only wiring I want to use is the cable to the outdoor siren which I’ll test first, only want it for power to the new siren.

Why not test all the cables?

You can decommission the original system and install a new one, that is not a problem.
It makes more sense to use the cables you have if possible.

1. Equivalent parts cheaper
2. Less maintenance
3. More reliable (wireless is relatively reliable these days but hardwired is considered the better option in the trade )

If you are to consider hardwiring anything the keypad and the bellbox would be the two.

I understand that you dont use your current system because of the issue you have with it, but you haven't established the cause of the issues (tampers).

Apps are available on many panels hardwired or wireless, what system were you thinking of wirelessly, how many hard wired zones do you currently have?

As for the procedure, alarms may go off with the bell box specifically and to stop that you have to put it engineers hold off if available.
This is achieved in many different ways depending on the bell box and how its configured.

why do you need wires and adapter for the siren?

Bought the wireless and this is way I want to go. It gives me more flexibility, arm/disarm remotely, get notifications if goes off, contacts others, integrates with other stuff I have.

It’s a Ring. I may do the keypad as well, as it’ll go in same place, but tbh the battery is decent and only needs charging sporadically, and can use the app anyway.

I want to use the siren wiring as this is better hardwired for a specific feature.

As I say I just want to ensure I’m decommissioning it correctly so I don’t get any spurious alarms, and doing it correctly.

need to know the units to be decommissioned.

Ring isn't a brand we would recommend or install so cant help there unfortunately.

need to know the units to be decommissioned.

Ring isn't a brand we would recommend or install so cant help there unfortunately.
I’m just after the procedure of decommission old one, rather than recommendations.

I presumed all would be the same procedure, as I say I only want to make sure that nothing is left that could trigger, or something like that. It’s a scantronic if that makes a difference?

Thanks

If you open the bell box and that’s not in engineers hold off it will go into alarm.

The alarm panel if in engineering won’t register a tamper when you remove t he panels battery.

The bell box will depend on the model regarding putting in engineers hold off and that may depend if it’s wired to facilitate such.

For example the Texecom bell boxes you can fire the strobe on off on off in off like it says in the manual and the bell box will indicate it’s in hood off mode.

Orisec bell boxes if networked can disabled automatically when in engineering on an Orisec panel, but would require an output programmed as engineers hold off wired into the bell terminal for engineers hold off.

Now I doubt it be an Orisec bell box due to age of your system.

But it may not be a texecom panel and the strobe may not be connected to the strobe terminal for many different reasons.

So knowing what the bell box is that’s connected to the scantronic panel will give a starting point and then you will know how it’s likely to behave.

So you may want ear muffs if your up a ladder as I can tell you now, it’s a lot louder when your up close.

This is info I need yes. I don’t want the alarm going off.

So if I remove the cover on the siren, tamper will alert (unless I have that linked out?), or can I not just type in my normal code?

Then remove the cables in siren, and disconnect battery? This will stop it?

How your bell box responds depends on the bell box you have and how it’s connected up will determine your options.

So need to know your bell box you have image of should be enough on here for someone to id it.

The reality is that a bell box may sound when cover is removed so need to be aware of that.

For example if it’s an Texecom bell box You will be able to see what the leds are doing so you will know if it’s in hold off mode which allows you to open the bell box up without it going off.

But if the the leds didn’t change then you will know that when you take lid off it is going to sound.

No one here knows what you have so can’t tell what to do or what to look for or how it’s likely to respond.

you can’t do anything from the panel end to stop a bells own tamper from ringing unless the. Ell box is put it to engineers hold off.

Putting the link at the panel end will stop it ringing panel side not at the bell end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back