Best way to extend cable with is just entering a junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my kitchen removers (Who thought they was good at electrical's) decided to cut some wires which they though were for the cabinet lighting. (Mostly correct) however they have cut 1 line leading to another function.

What is the best way to extend this white cable (See picture) so that it ends up back in this box? (I know many of you will say call an electrician but I am competent at many simple electric related tasks)
In the picture I know it is just easier to move the junction box upwards but if possible the same location would be best as its inline with other sockets etc
Thanks for any help and advice here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402_004815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230402_004815_Gallery.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 132
Sponsored Links
All the maintinance free junction boxes i've seen are designed to be placed in a building void, I don't think i've ever seen one designed to be burried in plaster.

Where does the cable go?

All the maintinance free junction boxes i've seen are designed to be placed in a building void, I don't think i've ever seen one designed to be burried in plaster.

Where does the cable go?
Goes to the boiler. The fused box is to the left (Not in the picture)

Sponsored Links
If the box was moved upwards so that the cable entering it from the left came into the lower hole on that side rather than the upper hole would that look silly? It would give you enough length on the cables entering from the top and would keep the cable coming in from the left in the safe zone.

There's definitely no slack when you grip onto it with pliers? Sometimes you get lucky.

Any chance of accessing the floor above to run a new cable down?

What is going on the wall above this box? What does it feed? You could use crimps and some heat shrink but might be best just to run a new cable back charging your kitchen removers! Have you paid them yet?

If the cable is just plastered into the wall*, then given the fact that the wall needs a bit of work anyway...! I think I'd mark where the sheath enters the box with a sharpie pen, chip a little bit of the plaster out, draw the cable out the box. Remove the minimum amount of other sheath possible and strip enough of the cores to get a crimp on to extend it, then feed it back into the box with the joints ending up within the box (but at a point where it would have been imposible to get the crimper in to do it in situ.)

*If its in capping then this would be harder to do, but I'd like to think in that case I might be able to gain an inch or so on it

So my kitchen removers (Who thought they was good at electrical's) decided to cut some wires which they though were for the cabinet lighting. (Mostly correct) however they have cut 1 line leading to another function.

What is the best way to extend this white cable (See picture) so that it ends up back in this box? (I know many of you will say call an electrician but I am competent at many simple electric related tasks)
In the picture I know it is just easier to move the junction box upwards but if possible the same location would be best as its inline with other sockets etc
Thanks for any help and advice here
What were they intending to do with what's left?
Which other cable are you expecting to use?

Just get an electrician to fix it however they deem best, and deduct the cost from the kitchen fitters bill?

I would remove the back box, chisel out some plaster and refit a double back box slightly higher and to left so I can reach cables, and then use either push on connectors or crimps.

But if the kitchen fitters have made an error, up to them to cure it, they messed with the electrics it is up to them to fix, and issue the minor works certificate, and if in Wales the compliance or completion certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back