best way to get a thin layer of plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
ive got a back hallway that's just painted bare bricks I want to plaster,
the problem is the hallways not much wider than the door, so the plaster needs to be as thin as possible, whats the best way to do this?
would it be using baseboards then skim or if I used hardwall how thin can it be applied?
TIA
Dave

Sponsored Links
First use a straight edge to see where it will be thick/thin. It may be that one or two bits need to be chipped back.
All loose material and paint removed.

Then clean and then seal with Bond it as low suction will help you put on a thin coat.

Next day you can apply a thin coat of bonding(or hard wall).

This can be just a couple of mil on the proudest parts, and you may have to bend the wall a little as long as the skirting lines etc are straight.

Then skim which on fresh background will add 1or2 mil to overall thickness.

But to do all that you need to be able to plaster a bit.

thanks for that mate,
Im a brickie but I can plaster, but usualy its just onto boards, ive only ever used browning or hard wall on patch ups
the walls got a right bow in the middle and they know about this but arnt bothered, theyre just sick of seeing the painted bricks.
I just didn't want to put the hard wall on too thin and it crack or something
and it end up looking a mess
thanks again
Dave

Sponsored Links
thanks for that mate,
Im a brickie but I can plaster, but usualy its just onto boards, ive only ever used browning or hard wall on patch ups
the walls got a right bow in the middle and they know about this but arnt bothered, theyre just sick of seeing the painted bricks.
I just didn't want to put the hard wall on too thin and it crack or something
and it end up looking a mess
thanks again
Dave

Generally speaking a thin coat is less likely to crack than a thick one, and is harder to get off. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back