best way to install curtain pole.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please give be advice for installing a bedroom curtain rail?

I have tried but failed.

Firstly i used a hammer drill with masonry bit. However, the lintels appear to be concrete as I could only drill about a quarter of an inch then it would not go in any further.

I have also tried using No nails and a wooden batten, but this fell off only yesterday.

So can anyone recommend anything else?

Sponsored Links
The concrete lintel may have steel rebar in, and the masnonry drill bit won't go through it.You could try 1/2" higher with another hole.

Nozzle

This is quite a common problem where concrete lintels are installed above a window. An SDS hammer drill is what is required. You can buy a DIY version from DIY outlets for about £50 or you can rent one from tool hire shops for about £30 a day. It makes sense to buy one then you have it for all of the other windows.

It might be a steel lintel.

If it was concrete, a hammer drill with masonry bit would slowly penetrate it.

Rebar should be much deeper than a quarter inch from the wall surface.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Can I use an SDS drill for other jobs apart from concrete. Also been reading about sticks like sh*t. Would this work

Sticks like §hit is basically no different to no more nails. I'm guessing the paint came away with the glue? And yes, SDS can have the hammer action turned off to be used as normal, but also with like a kango / jackhammer for breaking concrete out with chisel bits, and lifting floor tiles and usually comes with an attatchment to fit regular drill bits in. (SDS bits are different and more expensive). Aldi were doing there for £40 a pop with that attachment and a few drill bits thrown in too. You may find they are rather heavy compared the a 'normal' drill, but they are a godsend on brickwork.

Dan.

how have you decided it is an rc lintel and not steel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back