Best Way to Joint panels where they meet at a cross?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, badly described in the title and probably a stupid question, but:

I want to make some shelves that effectively look like boxes (i.e. a grid pattern).

It seems obvious how to join the horizontal shelf to one of the verticals, but how do I fit the next vertical on top of that invisibly?

All I can think of so far is dowelling.

Any smart solutions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
dowels biscuits rebates will all work

you can half screw though
fully assemble the side and shelves leaving the back off

all the first divider can be screwed top and bottom
the second one up needs to start with a dowel this will require the shelve to be lifted about 25mm easily done on mdf

cut all your spacers at the same time to be identical make the top row 5mm bigger
put the bigger spacers to one side
lay the sides back to back
using an off cut as a marker draw a line across one side and mark the other cut where the bottom is place your off cut on the line draw a line above the off cut
whithout moving the off cut place a divider on top off it draw a line across place off cut on divider repeat until you reach the top dont use a spacer for the top it goes at the top

mark the both sides off all shelves at the same time using the off cut to give you your 2 lines that all screws and dowels will be inbetween

Sponsored Links
Exactly what do you mean by invisibly?
Personally I'd go for stopped housings i.e. a groove that dosen't reach the front edge of the shelf, simple enough with a router and not much more difficult by hand. Actually pretty much as foxy says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back