Best way to pull Twin and earth through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to replace some twin and earth in my house (all will be fully compliant with part P before anyone jumps in).

I want to know what the best way to pull cable to avoid it becoming twisted and scratched. What is the best way to untwist the cable if this happens. I justy to make sure that it looks professional and avoid it becoming damaged in the process

Sponsored Links
Do you mean through conduit or just through voids?

Same answer anyway, I suppose; you need to straighten it first and make sure it is fed through untwisted.
If it is twisted entering or in conduit you will never untwist it and it will get very tight or completely stuck.

ROLL it off the drum. Either by hand, or using a cable reel, broom stick etc.

Don't just pull it off the drum without letting the drum turn too. You will just get spirals if you do.

Sponsored Links
Don't use a roll straight out of a cold garage or other cold place, warm cable is much more flexible.

Get a pack of 1m cable rods. I'm sure I've seen budget ones for about 20 quid somewhere.

If your lucky and old cable is slack and loose and plenty room in short void runs, use old cable to pull new through.

thanks for the replies, In some places I have used the old cable to pull new cable but all the sockets are in the wrong places hece the need to feed it elsewhere

What routes are being used, it's practically impossible to do get away without some floor lifting, chasing and joist holing.
Make sure when you do pull cables through voids, that they stay or are put in the permitted safe zones.

Make sure when you do pull cables through voids, that they stay or are put in the permitted safe zones.
I've often thought about that and have come to the conclusion that when cables have been pulled through a void, only a confirmed optimist would seriously believe that (s)he could be sure that the cable remained within safe zones. Am I wrong?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back