best way to remove cast iron stack??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to remove a cast iron stack and eplace with plastic. whats the bast way to take it down. i also need to get a rubber fitting onto it to convert to plastic. how to i get a clean edge to join to. i am conscious of the weight of the thing...

matt

Sponsored Links
very heavy. it is best removed by two men on two separate ladders using a crow bar apiece. start at the top.
fernco make a rubber jubilee clip type connector that will adapt to virtually any drainage scenario.

use a lump hammer as a persuader.

and, not wishing to state the obvious, if you do break it, watch the edges - they are lethally sharp.

matt73 said:
need to remove a cast iron stack and eplace with plastic.
Check you're not in the listed building & conservation areas which need approval
how to i get a clean edge to join to.
Angle grinder with a metal cutting disc

Sponsored Links
There is a tool specifically for cutting cast iron stacks cleanly but don't know what it is called. Its like a ring of cycle chain (but about 3 or 4 times as big) that goes around the pipe (handy for tight spaces) and into a handle at the front. The handle is then cranked back and forth which tightens the chain and POP, gives you a clean cut on the stack. Try a large tool hire shop.

chain pipe cutter ;) yet another pre historic tool I`ve used way back :rolleyes: .....used to be a similar one for hepsleve clay drainage

just a word of caution.

all the hammering will loosen some rust off the inside of the stack which will get washed away. if however the iron should break up then it might be wise to cut out a lower section and fit a dolly plug first, to prevent any pieces getting lodged in less accessible places.

the cast iron stack has the standard branch tee off to the wc. do you think it is possible to remove the wc cast pipe that goes into the branch tee. if so is the best way to remove this bit by chipping away at it.

also would standard soil pipe go into the tee and how would you seal it...

matt

as daunting as it may seem now, you are far better off replacing the entire stack with plastic. it's much more user friendly.

i have to say though, cast iron will take a hell of a lot of knocks. ;)

Start at the top and take it down piece by piece - the joints should work loose and you should not need to cut it at all (unless the top goes through the roof).

At or just under ground level it will go into clay and all you need is the appropriate plastic to clay connector.

Would also suggest changing the toilet connector for plastic as well - the one I did was lead from the toilet out through the wall.

My caulked lead joints won`t work loose :LOL: you`d have to burn them out with a bloody big blowlamp ;)

I with some assistance cut into a cast iron waste a couple of years ago and put a new plastic section for a downsrairs loo using a heat shrink joint ie plastic to cast iron. I seem to recall we got it from hepworths and it works perfectly .
Our cut out was low down so we made sure the remaining sections were secured firmly before cutting.
On a final point we tried one of those ratchet cutters that nigel f refered to but gave up and used an angle grinder in the end.
Was quoted about £800 from a plumber but did the job for less than£100

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back