cast iron soil stack joint to PP insert leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, New to this forum so please be gentle.
I have recently moved house and am starting to uncover a combination of overzealous DIY and dodgy builder type mistakes. Latest one is where a new lavatory has been joined to the original soil stack. The house is approx 1964 build and has the original cast iron stack. in the void between the ground floor ceiling and the upstairs floor is a curved jointing section. This appears to have had the sealing ring removed from the joint end and just the bare ends of the cast iron pipe remain. A new polypropelene insert has been pushed into this cast iron section. The pan connector then slots onto the insert. On Wednesday mornign I noticed the water leak on the wall and took out the coving to find this "joint" behind. As a temporary measure I have raked out the old bathroom mastic, cleaned the joint ends and resealed it with silicone leak preventer (wickes' own brand of snot in a tube).
The problem seems to be made worse by the fact that the remaining stub of cast iron leading into the main stack is curved so there can only be an inch at most of inserted plastic before it hits the curve of the elbow.
Question: How do I rectify this problem long term without having to replace a major part of the soil stack with new, plastic components? :?:

Sponsored Links
whenever ive come across c.i. soil stacks ive found it cheaper in the long term to replace with plastic, simply because of the speed of fit and the compatability with plastic wastes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back