Best way to remove stickers without damaging surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Will be taking possession of my new house (my first house) in about a weeks time and I’m after a little advice on how to deal with something. The house is a repossession so it’s empty, a company has been in and isolated all the electrics, water and gas and any fixed appliances. They have attached notice stickers to things like the boiler, sink, consumer unit, gas meter and the bathroom stuff, I did a test peel of a sticker while I was viewing the house and typically they won’t easily peel off. What’s the best way to remove them, I don’t want to scrub them off as I’ll end up marking the surface of what they are stuck too. I remember years ago you could get a product that looked like wet wipes, you gave the stickers a good wipe over to get them damp, leave them for about an hour then they would peel off easily. Does such a product still exist?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys
Dan

Sponsored Links
WD40 works quite well (it contains a solvent as well as a lubricant). Peel off what you can of the label to expose the adhesive to the solvent. Use a plastic scraper (a picnic knife, or whatever comes to hand) to scrape off what remains.

Sticky Stuff Remover is very good for removing many gummy residues, but it doesn't work on all of them.

Mayo works well on them, rub it on leave for a bit then scrape off with a plastic scraper.

Think I may have watched that on the program with them two ugly birds who clean scruffy houses.

Sponsored Links
Mayo works well on them, rub it on leave for a bit then scrape off with a plastic scraper.

Think I may have watched that on the program with them two ugly birds who clean scruffy houses.

I thought it was two scruffy birds who cleaned ugly houses.

The programme was called "how minging is my crib" or something like that.

Back on track, Meths from your local shed should do the trick (also very good for windows)

Your local cleaning supply shop will have a specific product for gum removal.

Dan - I'm with trazor on this one ... lighter fluid (petrol type not gas). Brilliant at removing label adhesive and lots of other stain/sticky situations. Every home should have a can.

Dan.

A hair dryer will remove the stickers and soften the adhesive enough to wipe off. it's how garages get all the stickers off the windscreens of used cars. Works a treat. :)

Hey Guys,

Sorry for not replying back sooner, house completion has been delayed by about a week so havent got the keys yet. Thanks for all the tips, i'll let you know how i get on.

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back