Best way to remove this tap?

I think that this is what I might do, cut the pipes, use a box spanner to remove the back nuts, and then install a flexi tap connector (I wanted to include a mini-valve into the pipe anyway).

I need to check the sizes, but would something like this be OK?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-connector-with-valve-15mm-x-x-300mm/3558g

Can I just use a basic pipe cutter, something like this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-minicut-pro-2-6-22mm-manual-copper-pipe-cutter/71782
I tried to remove the nut as fixitflav suggested, and I also put a spanner against it, but too high above the elbow, and so I have managed to bend it exactly as he predicted (without shifting the nut at all).
I would think it's a male thread on the elbow, so you would need to turn it clockwise as we look at it on the pic.
Don't know how you did it, but what I meant about the open-end spanner is put it on the elbow so it hangs nearly straight down, parallel to the other spanner (can't think of a better way of putting it but you know what I mean!). Ideally you set it up so the far ends of the 2 spanners are about 3" apart, and need to move together. Then you can grip both in one hand and squeeze, putting hardly any external force on the pipes. To do that in your case the main spanner is near the wall, the "holding" spanner away, so it might be awkward. If you have a spanner in each hand just try to put equal force on each.
If you can get it apart, you might be able to re-use the elbow. putting in a new tap connector. You might have to do that anyway, even if you hadn't bent it, as the new tap tail may not be same length as the old. Nowadays they're standard, at 50mm I believe, but your old one could be different.

Sponsored Links
Finally managed to get the tap off today (I bought an adjustable basin wrench, but end up using a standard adjustable spanner). It was a real job getting the nut off, especially with the paint on the thread, but finally forced it off.

IvNEWNmm.jpg

The new tap is not as long as the old one (as fixitflav predicted), and the elbow leaked when I attached the new tap to it, I also couldn't get the elbow off the pipe, so finally cut it off and put the stop end on for now (water is back on).

I have a 300mm flexible tap connector, so I would need to cut quite a bit more off the pipe, so install it without stress the connector pipe.

What do you folks reckon is the best way to proceed? Cut the pipe back and use the 300mm connector, or some other connection type?

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah, just use a compression ended tap connector, job done.

Thanks.

I cut the pipe just before it joined the original bent connector/elbow, so it's shorter than it used to be. If I wanted to install another non-flexible bent connector, I suppose I would have to extend the pipe again to get the right alignment to the tap.

Assuming that's correct, would you advise just using the flexible connector I already have?

You can buy all different lengths of flexi tap connects.

I'd be tempted to cut the copper pipe down by the sink drain waste and fit a flexi from there.

You'll have too much of kink in a flexi if you try and use it where the pipe currently ends imho.

I'd also fit the new basin now if you're planning on replacing it later, save doing the job twice..

Finally managed to get the tap off today (I bought an adjustable basin wrench, but end up using a standard adjustable spanner). It was a real job getting the nut off, especially with the paint on the thread, but finally forced it off.

IvNEWNmm.jpg

The new tap is not as long as the old one (as fixitflav predicted), and the elbow leaked when I attached the new tap to it, I also couldn't get the elbow off the pipe, so finally cut it off and put the stop end on for now (water is back on).

I have a 300mm flexible tap connector, so I would need to cut quite a bit more off the pipe, so install it without stress the connector pipe.

What do you folks reckon is the best way to proceed? Cut the pipe back and use the 300mm connector, or some other connection type?

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.
You might just get away a 300mm flexible from where the pipe ends now, using 1-1/4 turns. The 1/2" compression end fits straight on the stop end, and as you already have the flexi you can check. If not a longer flexi might do it, if available. Cutting back more of the pipe will be awkward, as it's close to the sink body, and it will have to be on the vertical straight bit, as where it's been bent a compression fitting is unlikely to seal properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back