Best way to repair a chipped / gouged wooden door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While moving a new fridgefreezer into our utility room, my father managed to make a very nice deep gouge in my painted wooden door, revelaing many years of different coloured paints and the chipboard underneath.

What would be the best way to repair this? I am happy to repaint the whole door if that's what it will take, but how do I even the gouge out? Wood filler? Putty?

As said before the door is chipboard by the looks of it...

Photos of the door and gouge...

B867AB34-A358-443D-A3CA-447B1FBF3411-461-0000004B97C371CB_zpsbe55be09.jpg

E2210754-6AA6-45E4-A9E0-DC89B1EC5D2C-461-0000004B88F78CC5_zps68c0a045.jpg

37EB9D62-655D-449C-B085-6DC9251F7765-461-0000004B91E5556C_zpsae9f5b2a.jpg

5620F62B-B391-446B-9EE6-99458EEBD014-461-0000004B958E8F15_zpsc95af5c3.jpg

A4BCD162-FB82-43FC-80BF-E16B6C475C2A-461-0000004B8F9F5128_zps0ede8436.jpg

Sponsored Links
The obvious answer is to use some ordinary wood filler, and then sand the entire area down......however, a much better product that dries very quickly and takes a superb finish is actually car body filler.......available in tubs and tubes from car accessory shops, choose the elastic type and marvel at how smooth the finish can be!
John :)

The obvious answer is to use some ordinary wood filler, and then sand the entire area down......however, a much better product that dries very quickly and takes a superb finish is actually car body filler.......available in tubs and tubes from car accessory shops, choose the elastic type and marvel at how smooth the finish can be!
John :)

And then just repaint the whole door?

What type of paint is best? And what Sandpaper?

I'm new to DIY so please excuse if these questions are a bit retarded lol

without wishing to be needlessly rude, that looks to me like a hollow door, which is made of air with a think skin pf hardboard. If you have a bonfire, that would be a good place for it. It isn't worth the trouble of mending. You can buy a replacement rubbish door for about £25, though I wouldn't.

If it is very heavy, and solid chipboard, it is probably a fire-resisting door and will cost about double.

Sponsored Links
without wishing to be needlessly rude, that looks to me like a hollow door, which is made of air with a think skin pf hardboard. If you have a bonfire, that would be a good place for it. It isn't worth the trouble of mending. You can buy a replacement rubbish door for about £25, though I wouldn't.

If it is very heavy, and solid chipboard, it is probably a fire-resisting door and will cost about double.

I know its mega crap, but its rented accomodation so I have to repair the damage

A new one would be better and more satisfactory, might even work out cheaper and less trouble, as there is a lot of damage. When you move out they might fit a new door and knock it off your deposit.

It it hollow or heavy?

Is it painted brown or is that a wood-effect coating?

I'd go with the car body filler, some sanding afterwards and a lick of paint across the whole door. Should be impossible for the landlord to notice where as a new door would stick out like a sore thumb.

B & Q will sell you a 2 pack wood filler in a light brown colour I think its Ronseal make. essentially the same as car body filler - mix it up, apply it to damage pressing the filler hard into the indent, let to harden and sand flat. degrease entire door and repaint with a solid colour.

time to apply filler = 5 mins
time to sand filler flat = 10 mins
degrease door = 20 mins
repaint = whatever time

main point is you will need to repaint the whole door in a solid colour to make the repair unnoticable.

far cheaper/ easier than replacing the door....

Car body filler as said.
Fill the hole with newspaper, put a rough bit of 2 part filler on (just to hold the paper in place.
Mix the filler spread on with plastic scraper, ensure its flush with door, let it go hard 20mins, then rub down with sandpaper on a wood block, that is bigger than the area filled.
Re fill any bad bits.
The job should take less than an hour.
Wash surface, dry, then prime & paint the whole door.

Is the old door painted, or has it got a wood-effect finish?

Painted I believe.
In the same paint that has painted every door, doorframe and window frame and windowsil in the house

smooth off the bumps
cut a sheet off hardboard bevel edges and glue on the face

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back