best way to repair this? exterior cement skirting/render...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm not even sure of the correct term for it lol, but the cement 'skirting' which covers the bricks at ground level has always been cracked and recently has broken away completely.

I think I could patch it with more cement and a trowel but the colour probably wouldn't match and it wouldn't look as straight as it does elsewhere because i'm useless with a trowel.

How did the builders do this originally - 50's semi - some sort of formwork and poured cement?

Would it be best to remove it all from the corner to the door and repair it in the same way it was made?

Sponsored Links
Remove all the S&C render plinth the whole way round your house. It will be introducing moisture into the wall, and possibly into the interior.
It also appears to be bridging the DPC.
Do you have any interior damp issues?

If the pointing behind the plinth is degraded then rake out to 20mm to 25mm depth, & make good.

The revealed brickwork might be a shade lighter than the brickwork above but it will weather to match in a year or two.

Thanks for the advice, no interior damp issues at all inside. House is double brick, flemish bond, no cavity.

Would prefer to keep it in place as it looks like the first couple of rows of bricks are a totally different type so may never match. Will it be such an issue to keep it?

The plinth in the pic has to come off - when its off why not post a pic of the bottom courses?
From the pic the exposed brick appears to be the same brick as above - why should the row of bricks above the DPC be "a totally different type"?

As regards difference, i dont think that you will get a greater contrast than a S&C plinth and red brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Ok will knock off that section of the plinth and take a good look, i think the bricks underneath just dont have the same facing texture on them but point taken about contrast between plinth and brick, plus the front of the house needs repointing anyway so might be a good time to tackle it all at once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back